Americans! Micah and Adam
Two more:
Name: Micah Koplow
DOB: April 24, 1987
From: Newton, Massachusetts
High School: Maimonidies
College: University of Maryland
Favorite color: bicycle
In his own words:
“Contrary to the custom of most yeshivot, Ma’aleh Gilboa has no prevailing dogma. In fact, it has no dogma at all. It would probably be truest to say that Yeshivat Ma’aleh Gilboa encourages a personal mindset, that is to say, opinions of one’s own, based on research and tradition. Keeping in line with this philosophy, none of the shiurim are mandatory and one is encouraged to learn subjects of personal interest on their own. Among the topics being studied are Kabbalah, Mishna, Jewish Philosophy, and the New Testament. The freedom is invigorating and most of us couldn’t be happier anywhere else.”
Name: Adam Weiler
DOB: April 13, 1986
From: Maybe Boston, I moved around a bit
High School: Ramaz
College: Undecided
Favorite author(s): Italo Calvino, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Mark Twain, Sylvia Plath, Roald Dahl
In his own words:
“After a month or so at Ma’aleh Gilboa I find myself very enthusiastic about this place, which is a big thing for me because I am very cynical. I like the teachers, the kids and the intellectual openness. Learning in the Beit Midrash is very fun. The only complaint is the sameness of the food. But besides that Ma’aleh Gilboa is very cool.”
Micah is very Boston: he likes the Red Sox, talks with a tinge of the famous accent, and uses expressions only a Bostonian would use. We share an appreciation of sarcasm and dry humor (he recommended Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," which I am enjoying immensely) and playing backgammon (I am leading the series 28-21). We watch movies occasionally on his computer ("The Big Lebowski" and "That '70s Show") and play frisbee. We learned Kohelet (Ecclesiastes) together, and are currently engrossed in Mishlei (Proverbs). He is the other Honorary Member of... erm... change the subject... oh yeah, Adam...
Adam is the oldest kid here. He talks with a bit of lisp, but he is always more than happy to repeat for you to get his idea across. He moves around a lot; his parents, actually, are in Israel for the year, so he goes home every other weekend. He graduated from Ramaz, where I'm told he had throwing knives (see picture, although that is a cutting knife for cucumbers) and had pet ferrets. He writes poetry and has his own blog. Is currently learning the story of Cain and Abel in greater detail.
All that's left is my roommates, so bear with me.
Name: Micah KoplowDOB: April 24, 1987
From: Newton, Massachusetts
High School: Maimonidies
College: University of Maryland
Favorite color: bicycle
In his own words:
“Contrary to the custom of most yeshivot, Ma’aleh Gilboa has no prevailing dogma. In fact, it has no dogma at all. It would probably be truest to say that Yeshivat Ma’aleh Gilboa encourages a personal mindset, that is to say, opinions of one’s own, based on research and tradition. Keeping in line with this philosophy, none of the shiurim are mandatory and one is encouraged to learn subjects of personal interest on their own. Among the topics being studied are Kabbalah, Mishna, Jewish Philosophy, and the New Testament. The freedom is invigorating and most of us couldn’t be happier anywhere else.”
Name: Adam Weiler

DOB: April 13, 1986
From: Maybe Boston, I moved around a bit
High School: Ramaz
College: Undecided
Favorite author(s): Italo Calvino, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Mark Twain, Sylvia Plath, Roald Dahl
In his own words:
“After a month or so at Ma’aleh Gilboa I find myself very enthusiastic about this place, which is a big thing for me because I am very cynical. I like the teachers, the kids and the intellectual openness. Learning in the Beit Midrash is very fun. The only complaint is the sameness of the food. But besides that Ma’aleh Gilboa is very cool.”
Micah is very Boston: he likes the Red Sox, talks with a tinge of the famous accent, and uses expressions only a Bostonian would use. We share an appreciation of sarcasm and dry humor (he recommended Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," which I am enjoying immensely) and playing backgammon (I am leading the series 28-21). We watch movies occasionally on his computer ("The Big Lebowski" and "That '70s Show") and play frisbee. We learned Kohelet (Ecclesiastes) together, and are currently engrossed in Mishlei (Proverbs). He is the other Honorary Member of... erm... change the subject... oh yeah, Adam...
Adam is the oldest kid here. He talks with a bit of lisp, but he is always more than happy to repeat for you to get his idea across. He moves around a lot; his parents, actually, are in Israel for the year, so he goes home every other weekend. He graduated from Ramaz, where I'm told he had throwing knives (see picture, although that is a cutting knife for cucumbers) and had pet ferrets. He writes poetry and has his own blog. Is currently learning the story of Cain and Abel in greater detail.
All that's left is my roommates, so bear with me.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home