"Elementary, my dear Nachshon"
The Slow, er, Fast of Gedalliah is finally over, but there are still a great deal of mysteriousness in the air. I don't know why I thought those two ideas were connected, but still, mysterious mysteries abound in their mysterious mysteriousism. Some thoughts:- What did we have for dinner on Rosh Hashana? I think it was chicken, but it could have been turkey or goose or shoe leather.
- How is it that Israelis can drink beer, hava nargila, and talk very very loudly until 2:30 in the morning, and still be up for prayers at 6:00? I try to go to sleep at 11:00, and I manage to wake up at 7:30, at best.
- What does Rav Bigman keep saying in his speeches? I still have no idea.
- How is it possible to fit a 6'4'' man into a six-foot bedframe? I would really like to know. Not for me, obviously, just for a friend of mine... his name is... uh... Enrique. Yeah, Enrique Berkovitz. From Jerusalem. Yeah.
- If this is a kibbutz, why does it sell everything it manufactures? The windmill's electricity, the milk, the eggs, the produce- it's all sold. Do we have an identity crisis?
- When does my air conditioner go on? In theory, 1-3 p.m. and 10 p.m. to midnight. But it will stay on all afternoon, freezing us, or perhaps it will just not go on at all during the night. Or maybe it feels like turning on just as we're leaving for a class.
- Where does my underwear keep disappearing? It goes into the laundry but never comes out. And finally,
- Why the cucumbers? Why? Why????????????????????
If you have any answers, send a postcard, along with two General Mills proofs of purchase and the broomstick of the Wicked Witch of the West, to:
Yeshivat Ma'ale Gilboa, D.N. Gilboa 19145, Israel




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home