Americans!: Jason and Marans
Name: Jason Ast
DOB: February 5, 1988
From: St. Louis, Missouri
High School: University City High
College: Yeshiva University
Favorite style of eggs: [left empty]
In his own words:
“Yeshiva is good, the ramim [rabbis] are great especially Biggy [Rav Bigman]. Dorms are sweet and so is the area. The kids are cool and best of all I am not stuck in mini America on Emek Rephaim or Ben Yehuda and I can speak Hebrew. Food… I am never eating pasta or Israeli salad or eggs and cottage again.”
Name: Daniel Marans
DOB: July 12, 1987
From: Teaneck, New Jersey
High School: Ramaz
College: Johns Hopkins
Least favorite vegetable: sweet potato
In his own words:
“When I’m actually in Yeshiva, it’s been treating me well. Other than that I enjoy hitchhiking around Israel, booze, and girls. I’m hoping to flip out some time after Yom Kippur, so contact me while I’m still fun to be around.”
Well, there you have it. Jason, a religious Jew from a mostly black public school (some of his classmates were Tone-E and Antoinette), left after junior year to come to Israel. Whenever we are trying to get all the Americans together, the first person identified as missing is Jason. And he usually is. He is sometimes in classes, but is more frequently found in his boxer shorts around the dorms, or hitchhiking with Israelis. He is a founding member of the Cholent Club, and says "sababa" a lot.
And as for Marans? He's loud, a skill he uses to make his points heard (he was also on Model UN). Marans is very social with Israelis, and has many chevrutas with them (something I am still working on). When I mentioned in passing that I never see him in the Beit Midrash, he assured me that he was there. Maybe we have different hours, or I just kept missing him. Whatever the case, I now see him more often, learning. One of my most...vivid anecdotes regarding Marans: one time he came up to my room for the only time and said hi. He then proceeded to leave a... surprise in our bathroom, stinking it up. I mean, come on. Who does that to someone?




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home