Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Friday, October 07, 2005

"It's the most wonderful time of the week"

Yes, it's back again! By popular demand, that seventh day when work stops, singing and dancing increases, and food taste decreases... it's the (drumroll please)
Sabbath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huzzah! And as for today's entry (not to be confused with today's entree, which will undoubtedly be bland chicken), I present, as I promised in a previous entry, the sample
Sabbath Schedule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(note: describes the Shabbat of October 7, but the mold is the same for all Shabbats)


Start of Shabbat: 5:45 p.m. / End of Shabbat: 6:53 p.m.
Rabbis in charge of speechmaking and saying kiddush at meals: Rav Bigman and Rav Benny

Friday

3:00 p.m.- clean up dorms.
5:45 p.m.- the Song of Songs is read, and the Mincha, Kabbalat Shabbat and Ma'ariv services conducted, usually with singing involved. Singing is contagious in the Beit Midrash; my headache, on the other hand, is not.
7:30ish p.m.- dinner. For some reason, I find the daily lunches tastier and in more abundance than the Shabbat meals.
9:30ish p.m.- tish, which is even more singing and dancing and dvar torahs and food and singing after dinner. Or, a great time to hang out with friends.

Saturday
8:00 a.m.- Shacharit. It's later than normal, but I'm as tired as usual.
10:00ish a.m.- kiddush outside the Beit Midrash, featuring pastries of all shapes and sizes (note: here, "all shapes and sizes" refer to three varieties of rugelach). This 15-minute interlude is followed by a 15-minute speech, which is a good time to catch up on some sleep.
12:30ish p.m.- after the dancing is over, Shabbat lunch is served. The food is basically the same. However, I, along with a few other Americans, proceed to the dorms to partake in the cholent we cooked. It's basically meat, potatoes, barley, onion soup mix, and a few secret spices. There are four founding members, and we have a salute. The cholents are named like Super Bowls, so tomorrow will be Cholent II.
1:15ish p.m.- rest time, used for napping, throwing a frisbee, or chess tournaments (I was a commentator, which everyone else thought was hilarious. I have to admit, I was quite funny. Then again, what else should anyone expect?)
4:00 p.m.- the Mincha service, followed by seder time to prepare for...
5:00 p.m.- lectures, usually one of two choices.
6:00 p.m.- seudah shlishit, the third and final meal of the Sabbath. It is very similar to the weekday breakfast/dinner, but served with cole slaw and tuna. We also get dessert: chocolate pudding!
6:16 p.m.- sunset, followed by Ma'ariv to conclude the Shabbat.

And for those of you who are curious about the Out Shabbat schedule:
Friday
5:00 a.m.- Wake up.
6:00 a.m.- Shacharit with the kibbutz.
7:10 a.m.- Van full of Americans leave for Jerusalem.
9:30ish a.m.- Van full of Americans arrive at Central Bus Station in Jerusalem. Americans disperse to Shabbat destinations.

Sunday
12:00 p.m.- Americans meet back at Central Bus Station in Jerusalem.
12:15 p.m.- Van full of Americans leave for Ma'aleh Gilboa.
2:35ish p.m.- Van full of Americans arrive at Ma'aleh Gilboa.
3:00 p.m.- Mincha. Regular weekday resumes as normal.

And that's it.
***
And in today's news:
We went to an etrog farm today. It was hot and smelly and there were no etrogs because they are being packaged with lulavs for the upcoming Sukkot holiday. We also saw a replica of an ancient Israeli mosaic. It was almost exciting, until we remembered it was just a replica. I thought it was cool because it had the word "cucumber" in it.

Also, happy birthday to Grandpa Alex:
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to Grandpa Alex,
Happy birthday to you!
And many more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shabbat Shalom.




1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's interesting that you went to an etrog farm... I heard an interview on the radio this morning with a lulav 'official' (maybe he was an importer). If I understood correctly, it seems that most of the lulavs used in Israel are usually imported from Egypt. I missed the first part of the interview so I'm not sure why, but Egypt is not providing lulavs this year. So the lulav officials found new suppliers in Spain and someplace else (I think he said Jordan). When asked why local lulavs are not used, the answer was that dates are a more lucrative business this time of year and all the potential lulav pickers have their hands full picking dates!

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home