Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Friday, October 14, 2005

Americans!: Ezra and David

Two more Americans for your... viewing pleasure? I guess...

Name: Ezra Fishman
DOB: July 12, 1987
From: Chevy Chase, Maryland
High School: Berman Hebrew Academy (formerly HAGWASH- Hebrew Academy of Greater Washington)
College: Brandeis
Favorite salad dressing: fat-free Italian
In his own words:
“I am pleased with my yeshiva experience because the learning is serious and my peers are of high quality. I am constantly intellectually stimulated with the learning here and always impressed with the caliber of the teachers. The students also have proven bright and motivated. I feel comfortable in the environment and am making progress on my goals. This is an open-minded, serious, spiritual place.”

Name: David Mayer-Deutsch
DOB: April 11, 1987
From: Danbury, Connecticut
High School: Manhattan Torah Academy (MTA)
College: Cooper Union
Favorite movie: "Fight Club"
In his own words:
“The best things about yeshiva are: sleeping on the roof, looking at the mountains of the Jordan, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Rav Bigman Rav Yehuda and Rav Elisha’s different ways of being left wing, the Rosemary, the bags of milk, pomegranate trees, the ma’ayanot [springs], the internet, Aryeh, and TORAH!”

Well, Ezra and David. Ezra comes from Maryland, near DC. He comes from a conservative synagogue, and sometimes grapples with the Talmud and Judaism as manifested here. He wears a lot of basketball shirts. His nickname is Ezra the Scribe because he writes perfectly legible notes for everything. Actually, that's not really his nickname, but it fits. He is one of the only people who does not wear white on Shabbat (he wears gray).

David has a very excellent birthday, but was born at night and thus has a different Hebrew birthday than yours truly (I am the 12th of Nissan, he is the 13th). He is one of two Americans who sleeps on the roof, and the only one who mixes all of the breakfast foods together into one bowl (see picture) before eating them; methinks he has already lost his tastebuds. Hehe, I just said "methinks." I'm not quite sure who Aryeh is; there is an American older student named Aryeh, but he hasn't been here for weeks. There is a rumor going around that we are going to shave his poofy hair; admittedly, I started that rumor, but it's still fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home