Jerusalem Recap
Well, my time in Jerusalem certainly has been exciting. Sunday was a lot of fun: I walked to Emek Refaim for lunch (Burger's Bar) and a haircut (the name of the barbershop was none too memorable). Then, after a refreshing nap and some Sudoku, I walked back to Emek Refaim.
Emek Refaim at night shocked me. It was like, totally American! Everywhere I looked, I saw American students, heard American accents, saw American fashion... quite a change of scenery from my isolated Mt. Gilboa, where everything is Israeli and we Americans are considered the exceptions. On the Emek, though, Americanism reigns supreme. Whereas I conducted my morning ventures almost completely in Hebrew (I wasn't quite sure how to say condiments), shopkeepers addressed me in English, figuring I was an American too. I think what Jason said (see Oct. 14 entry) about Jerusalem being "mini America" holds some truth. If not for all the New York accents, I could have believed I was standing on an extension of the Jewish part of Pico Blvd.
Anyway, I met Liora Pollick, currently at Michlelet Lindebaum a.k.a. Brovender's, on the Emek at Cafe Hillel.
It was great to talk to a girl, a close friend, from the Shalhevet Class of 2005 (the first person from Shalhevet I have met since coming to Israel). Over hot drinks (or drink, as I had a hot chocolate, and she insisted she was not thirsty), we discussed yeshiva/michlelet life, missing home, friends, family, Shalhevet, Judaism, life, and roommates. It is certainly great to talk to someone from back home.
Today, Monday morning, I took my computer to a store to get fixed. The mechanic, Dov, told me that the screen problem could cost about $100, or perhaps require a new computer altogether. Ouch. And later, I am getting on the 749 bus to Kochav Yair, back to the Dolgins' for the first days of Sukkot.
Since this is a retroactive blog entry, and I know that I did not have enough time to write an entry when I got to the Dolgins before the holiday, I will publish this entry with Monday's date, instead of today's actual date, Tuesday night (I like this technology). But I will nonetheless wish you a happy Sukkot holiday, as if this is Monday, before the chag. Chag Sameach!
Emek Refaim at night shocked me. It was like, totally American! Everywhere I looked, I saw American students, heard American accents, saw American fashion... quite a change of scenery from my isolated Mt. Gilboa, where everything is Israeli and we Americans are considered the exceptions. On the Emek, though, Americanism reigns supreme. Whereas I conducted my morning ventures almost completely in Hebrew (I wasn't quite sure how to say condiments), shopkeepers addressed me in English, figuring I was an American too. I think what Jason said (see Oct. 14 entry) about Jerusalem being "mini America" holds some truth. If not for all the New York accents, I could have believed I was standing on an extension of the Jewish part of Pico Blvd.
Anyway, I met Liora Pollick, currently at Michlelet Lindebaum a.k.a. Brovender's, on the Emek at Cafe Hillel.
It was great to talk to a girl, a close friend, from the Shalhevet Class of 2005 (the first person from Shalhevet I have met since coming to Israel). Over hot drinks (or drink, as I had a hot chocolate, and she insisted she was not thirsty), we discussed yeshiva/michlelet life, missing home, friends, family, Shalhevet, Judaism, life, and roommates. It is certainly great to talk to someone from back home.Today, Monday morning, I took my computer to a store to get fixed. The mechanic, Dov, told me that the screen problem could cost about $100, or perhaps require a new computer altogether. Ouch. And later, I am getting on the 749 bus to Kochav Yair, back to the Dolgins' for the first days of Sukkot.
Since this is a retroactive blog entry, and I know that I did not have enough time to write an entry when I got to the Dolgins before the holiday, I will publish this entry with Monday's date, instead of today's actual date, Tuesday night (I like this technology). But I will nonetheless wish you a happy Sukkot holiday, as if this is Monday, before the chag. Chag Sameach!




1 Comments:
You know, I probably almost ran into you on Emek Refaim. I've been there a lot these past few days--it's close to where I've been staying. I've actually run into a bunch of Ma'ale Gilboa Israelis there--many of whose names I don't remember even when I see them, though I know them very well. Oh well!
--Benjamin "Jammin" Epstein
Post a Comment
<< Home