Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Seen your shadow lately?

Today is February 2nd, is Groundhog’s Day. What that means at YMG, I don’t know. I don’t even know how to say “groundhog” in Hebrew, and I think the whole idea of a rodent’s shadow serving as a meteorological predictor, even only in folklore, could count as religious heresy. Nevertheless, if there is a Groundhog’s Day here, the beastly creature must have seen its shadow, or not seen its shadow, or whatever, because it’s been storming and lightning-ing all night.

The past few days have sort of blended together, not into coherent ideas, but into a collection of occurrences and recollections. Some of what I remember from the blur that was, and is, the TueWedThursday amalgam:

  • “Super” Scheduling: Well, we finally solved the whole Superbowl dilemma. We are going to watch the game at the Center for Conservative Judaism, right in downtown J-lem. The best part, of course, for us Jews is the fact that it’s free! We’re going to watch the game at 1:00 a.m., crash at Marans’ apartment (apparently not too far from the game), and take the van back to yeshiva Monday morning, 10 a.m.
  • Call the Toe Truck: The toe, thanks for asking, is fine, or at least, healing. It is still tough to walk on, but I think it’s improving. One plus to all this is that I am getting the unusual opportunity to see a variety of colors: the red of fresh blood, the burgundy of dried blood, the yellow cream, the fresh whiteness of a new bandage. And I’m lucky to have bandages to change: the surgeon told me that I would need to change it every day, but since the nurse works on some arbitrary schedule, she wouldn’t be here until next Tuesday. Luckily, the office managed to bring her here especially for me.
  • Not Getting My Learn On: Once again, I am chevruta-less. Yotam, my bkiyut buddy, told me that he wanted to “pursue other things.” I think he was trying to pull the “it’s not you, it’s me” routine, but I’m not sure if the concept has arrived here yet. So, to list all the chevrutas I have had, in order:
    Yonatan Ori, Josh Tal, Tzuri Blanc, Natan Drucker, Eitan Rubinstein, Jason Ast, Dov Leibowitz, Asaf Yechi, Yotam Brom, Yair Lerner, Rafael Shenkolavsky.
  • Additionally, I did my usual bout of community service, did not receive my package in the mail, suffered a few sleepless nights, and consumed six cucumbers (not because of my affinity to them; they are just getting smaller, so more are needed to get the same nutritional value. If you can call it nutrition)


Last word: the JIB voting, I think, ended today, and on behalf of all the staff of YoniinIsrael, I thank you for voting. If I have not yet acknowledged you, please send me an email or leave a comment on the site. Yes, I love making up those nicknames.


Free weekend tomorrow. Jerusalem, Superbowl, here I come!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to be ackknowlagded aside form my parents because, first I voted and even got my friends to vote, and second my dad can not use a computer and has no idea how to vote. And just so you'll know I'm rooting for the Steelers to go all the way even though they beat the Jets last year in January.(that was all Doug Brian's fault)

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey yoni, its anna etra and i voted for u!! i also called my friends and told them to vote for u so u are a very popular kid in the harvard-westlake 8th grade community. I hope your toe feels better and you have fun in "j-lem"

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YONI!! SAVE ME A PLACE FOR THE SUPERBOWL!! I'M ON MY WAY TO ISRAEL ON SUNDAY!! Decided yesterday to visit Benjamin--I'm not thoroughly convinced you've had him cleaning his glasses regularly enough, so be forwarned--there WILL be a glasses cleaning pary. Be nice to me as I'm rather fragile...anything you want me to bring you, besides my wit?? Ask anyone else if there's anything I can bring them (within reason...). My camel will arrive late Sunday afternoon. See you soon. Oh, and be sure Benjamin packs the Pass the Pigs game...

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home