Taking a break from the rigors of the campaign trail
Though I did manage to push a mass email across last night, I have not been updating my blog for a few days. A large part of this is due to the fact that my computer decided to stop working, and I am now back in the long queue for the yeshiva's three internet computers. Thankfully, Ilan allows me to use his computer, which still works, so I am able to write a little now.
Last I checked, I stood at a whopping 42% in the standings. I am awed and thunderstruck, and I thank all my fans and voters out there. Above you can find a list of those who have reported to me that they voted, along with the special "nickname" recognition that I promised. So keep voting...
Tuesday night we had our weekly class with Rav Bigman, who honored his promise to "keep it short" by "limiting" the session to 50 minutes. We talked about... well, I'm not sure what we talked about, but it was deep and philosophical as usual. I think we might have mentioned perception, the system, or somthing like that. For homework, he assigned us an essay by Rav Hutner, section 21 of the volume entitled "Shavuot." I had a tough time finding the book, or anything by Rav Hutner, until someone mentioned that he went by the title of his magnum opus, "Pachad Yitzchak." Armed with this information, I eventually found the text. The essay attempts to reconcile the seemingly-contradictory concepts of humans as both individuals and as part of a whole. Rav Hutner writes that humans are simultaneously unique and united, that we are all created differently but also exist as an essential part of the human whole. The key to understanding the paradox is to realize that humans were created with both individuality and unity in mind, unlike any other creation. Rav Hutner also writes how the human face, different for every person, hints at the concept of individuality. At least, that's what I think the article said; much like Rav Bigman (who I've heard is a student of Rav Hutner), the Pachad Yitzchak is dense and does not surrender its truths and secrets easily.
Yesterday, being Wednesday, was once again occasion for community service. Unlike shooting baskets, writing blog entries, or even learning gmara, this is not one of those things that get easier the more you do it. I guess if there's one thing I've learned so far, it is dealing with frustration. I am starting to develop a routine with Ohr for our hour-and-a-half sessions: we do a puzzle of Little Red Riding Hood; while he goes to his room to get our first book ("The Lion Who Liked Strawberries"), I put the puzzle back in the box. After we read the book, we did the puzzle anew. I'm not sure Ohr realized we had just done the puzzle; as long as he doesn't see me put it away, he's as enthralled as the first time. He runs to get the second book ("Eliezer and the Carrot" or "Hot Corn"), and I dismantle the puzzle again. We read the book, and reassemble the puzzle. Then we complete a different puzzle, where he matches the Hebrew letter with a picture of word beginning with that letter (for example, he matches the gimmel with the guitar). If time still remains, we do the Red Riding Hood puzzle yet again. The only other memorable thing about community service was how Benjamin Epstein got left behind. Fortunately, he was on the community service unit that is only ten minutes away, as opposed to my unit, which has an hour drive each way.
Tomorrow is a shabbaton (otherwise known as a "shabbatathon") in Jerusalem, but I will try to write again before then. Later.
Last I checked, I stood at a whopping 42% in the standings. I am awed and thunderstruck, and I thank all my fans and voters out there. Above you can find a list of those who have reported to me that they voted, along with the special "nickname" recognition that I promised. So keep voting...
Tuesday night we had our weekly class with Rav Bigman, who honored his promise to "keep it short" by "limiting" the session to 50 minutes. We talked about... well, I'm not sure what we talked about, but it was deep and philosophical as usual. I think we might have mentioned perception, the system, or somthing like that. For homework, he assigned us an essay by Rav Hutner, section 21 of the volume entitled "Shavuot." I had a tough time finding the book, or anything by Rav Hutner, until someone mentioned that he went by the title of his magnum opus, "Pachad Yitzchak." Armed with this information, I eventually found the text. The essay attempts to reconcile the seemingly-contradictory concepts of humans as both individuals and as part of a whole. Rav Hutner writes that humans are simultaneously unique and united, that we are all created differently but also exist as an essential part of the human whole. The key to understanding the paradox is to realize that humans were created with both individuality and unity in mind, unlike any other creation. Rav Hutner also writes how the human face, different for every person, hints at the concept of individuality. At least, that's what I think the article said; much like Rav Bigman (who I've heard is a student of Rav Hutner), the Pachad Yitzchak is dense and does not surrender its truths and secrets easily.
Yesterday, being Wednesday, was once again occasion for community service. Unlike shooting baskets, writing blog entries, or even learning gmara, this is not one of those things that get easier the more you do it. I guess if there's one thing I've learned so far, it is dealing with frustration. I am starting to develop a routine with Ohr for our hour-and-a-half sessions: we do a puzzle of Little Red Riding Hood; while he goes to his room to get our first book ("The Lion Who Liked Strawberries"), I put the puzzle back in the box. After we read the book, we did the puzzle anew. I'm not sure Ohr realized we had just done the puzzle; as long as he doesn't see me put it away, he's as enthralled as the first time. He runs to get the second book ("Eliezer and the Carrot" or "Hot Corn"), and I dismantle the puzzle again. We read the book, and reassemble the puzzle. Then we complete a different puzzle, where he matches the Hebrew letter with a picture of word beginning with that letter (for example, he matches the gimmel with the guitar). If time still remains, we do the Red Riding Hood puzzle yet again. The only other memorable thing about community service was how Benjamin Epstein got left behind. Fortunately, he was on the community service unit that is only ten minutes away, as opposed to my unit, which has an hour drive each way.
Tomorrow is a shabbaton (otherwise known as a "shabbatathon") in Jerusalem, but I will try to write again before then. Later.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home