Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Poetry Corner

Here are a few poems I’ve been working on; more later…

Question on the Gmara- A Haiku
Talmud Sanhedrin.
I don’t understand the text.
So I check Rashi.


Misnomer- A Couplet
It’s called a kibbutz, but all the same,
It’s only a kibbutz in name.


The Least Supper- A Sonnet
One cucumber is good, but is it right
To serve them daily, morning noon and night?
The cottage cheese, olives, a browning beet?
Butter, the red stuff no-one seems to eat?
White goo we are told is cheese, tomatoes?
That is our breakfast, that is our dinner.
To no surprise, most students are thinner,
Supping on pasta, farfel, potatoes.
All that I ask is some variety
As through the daily routine we wallow.
I see my friends. It’s tough to swallow
Porridge while speaking Torah piety.
But the past is past. I pick up my knife
To slice the next cucumber in my life.


Not Here- A Limerick
At yeshiva when I was not learning,
A fire within me was burning,
To leave this location
Of great isolation
For the city and friends I am yearning!

1 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin E. said...

To leave this location of great location?

4:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home