Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Monday, January 30, 2006

Putting my best foot forward (now my left)

WARNING: Gross stuff ensues. Do not read right before, or right after, eating. Unless it's a cucumber. All readers may continue when the font reverts back to Georgia (this font) in black (this color).

The waiting room of any medical building always is filled with a sense of suspicion, of guilt. Everyone waiting for the doctor, for his turn, for his chance at physical redemption. While he waits, everyone stares at each other, their eyes asking, projecting their uncertainties onto others. Prisonmates. What're ya in for? What'd they getcha for? What's wrong with you? And then the time comes, when you are escorted in, to see the doc, the warden, leaving their questioning behind.

Forgive the rambling prose, but that's what I was thinking as I sat in the waiting room of the Beit Shean hospital waiting room. I had an appointment to have an infected toenail treated, and while I waited, I observed everyone else, trying to guess from what they were suffering.

I've had this problem for a good two months. It never stopped me from playing basketball, but all the same, I wanted to treat it already. So I made an appointment with the doctor, but since he was only available on Mondays, it took a month to get an appointment. So here I was, having a medical examination in Hebrew, which I actually understood.

The procedure wasn't that bad; the whole infected nail of my right big toe was removed after the doctor inserted three shots of anesthesia into it. Afterwards, the doctors thought I was halucinating, when all I was doing was practicing some breathing techniques that I learned in drama and karate. Thank goodness I don't know, nor will ever need to know, Lamaze. The procedure was fine, though it's panging a bit now.

I was discharged shortly thereafter, and was told to keep my foot elevated today, change the bandage daily, and wait for the nail to grow back in two or three months. For now, I limp along.

Ewwwww! Gross! Icky! Who would want to read that? Well, you were warned!

Today was Rosh Chodesh, and I went to davenning. Yes, I went to davenning! My suitemates were ribbing me, as all six of us were at davenning for the first time in a while, but I didn't let it get to me.

What else? Learned about majorities and status (whatever that means), read more of Rav Joseph Soleveitchik's "Halakhic Man," a very dense read, and... what did I do all afternoon? Hmm... I don't remember. Something not too fun, I guess.

Keep voting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home