Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Aaaaaaaaaaaalrighty then!

Ace: Ho ho ho Hooooooooooooo! Fiction can be fun, but I find the reference section a little more enlightening. For instance, if you were to look up the NFL's "All Time Bonehead Plays," you might read about a Miami Dolphin kicker named Ray Finkel who missed a 27-yeard field goal in the closing seconds of Super Bowl XVII. [takes deep breath] What you wouldn't read about was how Ray Finkel lost his mind was committed to a mental hospital only to escape and join the police force under the assumed identity of a missing hiker manipulating his way to the top in a diabolical scheme to get even with Dan Marino for whom he blamed the entire thing!

Ace: Why do you care about de dolphin? Do you know him? Does he call you at home? Do you have a dorsal fin? To train ze dolphin you must zink like ze dolphin! You must be getting inside ze dolphin's head und communicating. I am saying to Snowflake, "Kay kay kay kay?" und he is saying "Kay kay" und he is up on ze tail "Eeeeeeeeee!"
und you can quote him!

Ace: If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer.


Yes, that is the immoral, sorry, immortal, "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective," which we watched last night. There is a rumbling about an Ace fan club, though the rumbling could be the echo of those potatoes we had for dinner. Seriously though (note: hard to make that kind of transition into "Ace Ventura"), Ace was phenomenal; my only regret is that I cannot recapture the facial expressions, gestures, and actions that are the other half of Jim Carrey's magnum opus.

I haven't written much for the last few days in terms of what I'm doing here, so here's some of the highlights:

We had that prayer service for rain I was talking about; before Ma'ariv on Tuesday, we said Psalms 63 and 76, and added other prayers as well. What we didn't read was the fine print: "Expect 3-5 days for delivery." On the "bright" side, it is getting colder, if that helps.

You can help too! Yes you, reader of the blog an ocean away, can aid the situation in rainless Ma'aleh Gilboa. How, you ask? Why, there are many ways! For instance, you can say the aforementioned Psalms while thinking about cucumbers (which, according to Tina Epstein, are 95% water). You can ship large buckets of water to Israel. Or, you can do as Choni HaMa'agal did. For those of you who don't remember, Choni lived in the time of a massive drought, so he drew a circle in the ground and stood inside of it, praying (and not leaving) until it finally rained. I don't know if you can pray for that long, or if you have the patience to stand for that long, or know how to draw a perfect circle (it's like a sea-bear circle; 3 points for naming an thing/action that annoys sea-bears). But you can place your finger on the screen, inside the circle, and pray for rain. Every prayer helps.

In other news, I missed my community service appointment on Wednesday. In an ironic twist, part of why I was late involves my creating an iTunes playlist on my computer for the busride to Gesher. Part of why I didn't make it is that the van left without me, which is in part because the only other Gesher kid, who usually calls me when the van leaves, didn't call me because he's in Jerusalem, which I didn't know at the time. No-one else on the bus seemed to notice either, because they left without me. I tried to call my family to tell them I wasn't going to make it, but the phone number by which I had contacted them before was "out of service." An hour later, I got an irate call from them, asking where I was. I tried to explain that their number was not in service, but they thought I was lying. So much for that.

Other small notes:
Last night, a cow was mooing. For the whole night. That's the first time I ever heard anything come out of the refet. Not tasted, nor smelled. Just heard.

I learned Rabin's other name. It is his last name, and I think it is Shushterry, or somthing like that. It's like learning Kramer's first name (Cosmo), just in reverse,

It's taken three and a half months, but I finally had a laundry mistake: I got an odd number of socks back. That's a-no good.

I apologize for writing that Norah Jones was a "black female jazz pianist." Though she is a female pianist, she only plays some jazz, and thus it is hard to classify her style. Plus, she isn't black. Sorry about that.

Finally,
Happy birthday to Leor M. Hackel, who just turned eighteen! Yes, he is the baby of the class, but what can you do? That beardlike thing is just so cute! So:
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to Leor,
Happy birthday to you!


Tomorrow, after nineteen long days, I get to get off this mountain! Out shabbat, here I come!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Yoni,
I love reading your daily posts, but it is this one in particular that motivated me to comment. I can't tell you how impressed I am with your thoughts on YMG, your mission, and your pride in living the Israeli experience. I think that this is the most fulfilling way to spend your year. You will come back so much more enriched (and skinnier) than your Americal counterparts and the command you have for the hebrew language is an asset that will stay with you forever. Still, I'm sure it would be cool to be able to take a stroll down Ben Yehuda a couple nights a week. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of opportunities to hang out when you get to NYU. Miss you in Circle Park.
David Hofstadter

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for the three bonus points.
DO NOT WEAR A SOMBRERRO AROUND A SEA-BEAR.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

do not screech like a chimpanzee around a sea bear.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Benjamin E. said...

Do not wave a flashlight around a sea bear!

5:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, I'm betting on my son, Benjamin's answer 'cause he seems to know the answer to just about everything, the more obscure, the better the chances he knows. Second, djbain, Yoni said "around a sea bear", not "around Tina Epstein" (unless I have something in common with the sea bear...).

9:06 AM  
Blogger Yoni Bain said...

Squidward: "What sets off a seabear?"
Spongebob: "Waving your flashlight really fast. Flashlights are their main prey. Stomping, they'll take it as a challenge. Eating cheese." Squidward: "What kind?"
(muffled discussion between Spongebob and Patrick) Spongebob: "Cubed, sliced is fine."
Squidward: "What else?"
Spongebob and Patrick: "Wearing your sombrero in a goofy fashion, or clown shoes, or a hoop skirt, and never ever ever screech like a chimpanzee!"

Points awarded:
M. Samuels- 3
B. Bain- 3
B. Epstein- 3

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, you seem like a really great guy, Yoni, so I didn't hold it against you that you liked "Seinfeld" (insipid at best). I decided as long as you never mentioned the Simpsons, you were still OK in my book. Shortly thereafter, a Simpsons picture and quote. Ok. I still love your blogs, we'll accept him in spite of these digressions--just let us be thankful he has never mentioned the moronic Spongebob and Squarepants. Alas, Yoni, where to go from here?? We need to find some common ground--help me out here!! I realize I am in the minority in not liking any of these 3 shows, however, I'm a snob and can't seem to find the humor in them, much as I've tried. Oh, how I long for the days of "The Dick Van Dyke" show..."Abbott and Costello"...Yogi Bear and Boo-Boo ("Boo-Boo, I think I smell a pic-in-ic basket...!!"). And equally disappointing, it is Sunday afternoon and I've had to have my coffee and croissant WITHOUT the pleasure of reading your latest blog because THERE IS NO LATEST BLOG! Yoni, I depend on you. Coffee, croissant, Yoniblog--you're messing with what should be a perfect day. I'll have to go now and rearrange my sock drawer...I await your next blog. Oh, and if you see Benjamin, please have him clean his glasses...

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home