The Real Yeshiva Life
By Yoni Bain, Class of 2005
(as published in the December Boiling Point.)
For the average high school graduate, going off to college is a whole new experience: new places, new classes, new friends. Throw in a new country, culture, and lifestyle, and you'll begin to have an idea of what I'm going through at Yeshivat Ma'aleh Gilboa.
Yeshivat Ma'aleh Gilboa is located on Kibbutz Ma'aleh Gilboa on, not surprisingly, Mt. Gilboa, which overlooks the Yizrael Valley. The most exciting thing you could say about the place is that King Saul died here. Other than that, it's in the middle of nowhere. For those of you whose Israeli geography is not so good, suffice it to say that I am a good two hours from Jerusalem, and civilization. The yeshiva argues that isolation allows for no distractions, which is conducive to students focusing on their learning. I argue that isolation allows for no distractions, conducive to boredom and having no opportunities to hang out anywhere not in the vicinity of a chicken coop. So I guess the yeshiva has already done part of its job, namely, teaching a Jew a life skill: how to argue.
Being up on Mt. Gilboa, there isn't a whole lot to do other than learn, so we learn, and we learn a lot. The days are long, beginning at 6:45 a.m. and ending as late as 11:00 p.m. Then again, nothing is mandatory. I repeat: nothing is mandatory. Students choose to come to whatever classes they want, and make their own schedules to fit in their classes, study groups, and exercise time. While some students do take advantage of this freedom, most exercise responsibility and fill their schedules with classes.
The actual studies at YMG are challenging and enriching. Just as Pirkei Avot teaches that the world is founded upon three pillars, so too is this yeshiva founded on three pillars of Jewish education: gmara, Tanach, and Jewish philosophy and thought. Whereas some yeshivot focus mainly on gmara, YMG prides itself on giving its students a balanced and well-rounded Jewish education. Each day, while having similar structure, contains different courses on different days of the week: an examination of the relation between Torah and Science on Thursdays, Parshat HaShavua on Tuesdays, an introduction to Chasidut on Sundays, the philosophy of Rav Kook on Wednesdays– the list goes on and on.
Like most yeshivot, gmara plays a major role in the mornings, but afternoons offer individual freedoms, including the choice to attend the courses such as those mentioned above. Students can choose to learn any volume of Talmud, philosophy, responsa– grab your partner, find a book, and go. One can even learn alone; currently, I am learning how to read Megillat Esther by myself. The yeshiva is open to questions, and to an individual finding his own way.
But while the learning is difficult, becoming part of the culture is equally challenging. Most– wait, actually, all– of my Shalhevet friends are attending mostly-American programs, such as Mevaseret or Resihit or Brovenders or Michlelet Esther. I, however, am living the Israeli life. I am one of only 13 Americans, while there are close to 60 Israelis in my age group at YMG, as well as an Israeli Kolel. While my two roommates are American, my other three suitemates are Israelis. The lingua franca here is Hebrew, both in the classes and in the dorms. In short, I am totally immersed in Israeli society.
Yes, that's challenging. Yes, that's scary. But you know what? It's worth it. I feel that I am making the most of my time in Israel, both educationally and culturally. I studied Hebrew for 12 years in Jewish day schools, but I finally get to use it– every day, from something as complex as understanding a Tosfot to something as simple as finding a roll of toilet paper. Sometimes it's difficult. Sometimes it's frustrating. Sometimes I wish I was at another yeshiva, where I could meet a friend on Ben Yehuda Street, or be a few minutes away from seeing a friendly face. But you know what? I have some friendly faces right here.
I have created a strong bond with all 12 Americans, as we share two common bonds: culture and, sometimes even more importantly, language. And the Israelis here are awesome; they're tough, fun, dedicated, proud, and great to hang out with. Of course, I still miss my Shalhevet friends, but hey, this is what post-high school is like, right? New places, new classes, new friends– and hummus for breakfast.
For a more detailed description of Yoni's adventures in Israel, check out his blog at www.yoniinisrael.blogspot.com.
(as published in the December Boiling Point.)
For the average high school graduate, going off to college is a whole new experience: new places, new classes, new friends. Throw in a new country, culture, and lifestyle, and you'll begin to have an idea of what I'm going through at Yeshivat Ma'aleh Gilboa.
Yeshivat Ma'aleh Gilboa is located on Kibbutz Ma'aleh Gilboa on, not surprisingly, Mt. Gilboa, which overlooks the Yizrael Valley. The most exciting thing you could say about the place is that King Saul died here. Other than that, it's in the middle of nowhere. For those of you whose Israeli geography is not so good, suffice it to say that I am a good two hours from Jerusalem, and civilization. The yeshiva argues that isolation allows for no distractions, which is conducive to students focusing on their learning. I argue that isolation allows for no distractions, conducive to boredom and having no opportunities to hang out anywhere not in the vicinity of a chicken coop. So I guess the yeshiva has already done part of its job, namely, teaching a Jew a life skill: how to argue.
Being up on Mt. Gilboa, there isn't a whole lot to do other than learn, so we learn, and we learn a lot. The days are long, beginning at 6:45 a.m. and ending as late as 11:00 p.m. Then again, nothing is mandatory. I repeat: nothing is mandatory. Students choose to come to whatever classes they want, and make their own schedules to fit in their classes, study groups, and exercise time. While some students do take advantage of this freedom, most exercise responsibility and fill their schedules with classes.
The actual studies at YMG are challenging and enriching. Just as Pirkei Avot teaches that the world is founded upon three pillars, so too is this yeshiva founded on three pillars of Jewish education: gmara, Tanach, and Jewish philosophy and thought. Whereas some yeshivot focus mainly on gmara, YMG prides itself on giving its students a balanced and well-rounded Jewish education. Each day, while having similar structure, contains different courses on different days of the week: an examination of the relation between Torah and Science on Thursdays, Parshat HaShavua on Tuesdays, an introduction to Chasidut on Sundays, the philosophy of Rav Kook on Wednesdays– the list goes on and on.
Like most yeshivot, gmara plays a major role in the mornings, but afternoons offer individual freedoms, including the choice to attend the courses such as those mentioned above. Students can choose to learn any volume of Talmud, philosophy, responsa– grab your partner, find a book, and go. One can even learn alone; currently, I am learning how to read Megillat Esther by myself. The yeshiva is open to questions, and to an individual finding his own way.
But while the learning is difficult, becoming part of the culture is equally challenging. Most– wait, actually, all– of my Shalhevet friends are attending mostly-American programs, such as Mevaseret or Resihit or Brovenders or Michlelet Esther. I, however, am living the Israeli life. I am one of only 13 Americans, while there are close to 60 Israelis in my age group at YMG, as well as an Israeli Kolel. While my two roommates are American, my other three suitemates are Israelis. The lingua franca here is Hebrew, both in the classes and in the dorms. In short, I am totally immersed in Israeli society.
Yes, that's challenging. Yes, that's scary. But you know what? It's worth it. I feel that I am making the most of my time in Israel, both educationally and culturally. I studied Hebrew for 12 years in Jewish day schools, but I finally get to use it– every day, from something as complex as understanding a Tosfot to something as simple as finding a roll of toilet paper. Sometimes it's difficult. Sometimes it's frustrating. Sometimes I wish I was at another yeshiva, where I could meet a friend on Ben Yehuda Street, or be a few minutes away from seeing a friendly face. But you know what? I have some friendly faces right here.
I have created a strong bond with all 12 Americans, as we share two common bonds: culture and, sometimes even more importantly, language. And the Israelis here are awesome; they're tough, fun, dedicated, proud, and great to hang out with. Of course, I still miss my Shalhevet friends, but hey, this is what post-high school is like, right? New places, new classes, new friends– and hummus for breakfast.
For a more detailed description of Yoni's adventures in Israel, check out his blog at www.yoniinisrael.blogspot.com.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home