Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Home Cookin' (just not my home, or my kind of cooking, either)

Well, another shabbat has come and gone, leaving us to ponder what was, is, and what will be, and what will be for lunch tomorrow.

Shabbat dinner was merely ordinary; nothing too exciting to report. For shabbat davenning, I was actually on time, and for my efforts I was rewarded with the opening of the ark, a task that I performed to perfection. Rav Yehuda, the rabbi of the shabbat, gave an interesting dvar torah (interesting, yes, and also that I followed it completely). He discussed the stealing of blessings, the fullfilment of blessings and curses, and identity struggle of Jacob/Israel, as symbolized by his struggle with the angel.

For lunch I went to Steven/Eitan/Aryeh's appartment. They are all kolel guys, even Aryeh, about whom I haven't posted. Also invited were Leor, Josh, Ilan, Benjamin, and David Zvi. There was a nice small feel to the meal, almost family-like; the meals were home-cooked, and even though they were vegetarian pasta dishes, it was still a pleasant, different type of shabbat lunch. During the meal, we also threw around lots of topics, such as bshert, forbidden acts on shabbat, and passover seders. It was fun, but it went so long that I didn't have an opportunity to take a shabbat nap; lunch went right into 3:00 mincha.

After mincha, I didn't feel much like going to a lecture, so I talked for a bit with Yehuda. We were soonafter joined by his visitors, former classmates at Ramaz: Tali, Shifra, and Josh. Also joining us was Daniel Marans, a Ramaz graduate himself. I suppose, though, that the phrase "joined up" is a bit misleading; after a few moments, it was obvious that I was really tagging along with them. They were talking about Ramaz jokes, people, teachers, stories; I was left to stand there, nod occasionally, and remark "oh yeah, I remeber Dr. Berkowitz!" even though I had no idea what they were recalling. I ate seudah shlishit with them, and then we went to the girls' appartment and talked some more about Ramaz, leaving me totally in the dark, feeling as unwelcome as a donut in a dieters' convention. I mean, it was so awkward; for some reason, we were all standing in this little cramped hallway instead of going into one of the rooms, and I was not even there. I mean, I was there, but not there.

After shabbat ended, I played ball in the gym for a few hours, playing H-O-R-S-E, knockout, basketball, and (gasp) soccer. We played with a little foam ball, using benches for goals. I was so talented, it looked like I was dancing out there. And for those of you who have never seen me dance, be very very grateful. It was good excercise, running around from 9:00 to 12:30. Good times.

Tonight, I might go see Rav Bigman; he has guard duty for the kibbutz, and he sits in his jeep all night talking with whomever comes, about whatever the student wants. I was going to go, but whereas I thought it was just walk in and talk, there are appointments and schedules and a secretary, or something like that. He might have some time for me at 3:15, but I don't know if I will be up that late.

Yawn. Shavua Tov.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't been able to get on your blog for a week as my computer has been misbehaving and YOU have Benjamin so I'm out of luck. However, glad to finally catch up. Regarding your friend Leor the Clown, based on the picture you posted, I recommend the name "Prozac". My how those balloons add to the jolly expressions on your faces.

I still can't get on for the 20 puzzles--not that my vast reservoir of Judaic knowledge would result in a correct answer. I'd like to see a quiz where you're not required to know what the heck "subphyllum" is or if some fellow name Giora was chased by geese as a child. I do better answering questions about pink toilet paper and french vanilla scented bathroom candles. I'm going to go now and wash my hair with Suave Fresh Apricot shampoo. (I know it's "fresh" because I called the number on the back and asked exactly HOW fresh the apricots were...) Tina

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home