Shabbat Shalom, and Shalom to Another Rabbi
"Lookalikes can be animated." That's not an actual quote, as you may have guessed, but this picture is the best I could find. I'm also running out of rabbi doppelgangers, but I just had to introduce you to:Rav David Bigman
Nicknames: Rav Big, The Notorious B.I.G.M.A.N.
Wears his kippa: on the right side of his head
His rosh yeshiva in Detroit: Rav Box
Rav Bigman is the other co-Rosh yeshiva (you met Rav Shmuel "Dumbledore" earlier). Rav Bigman is a very philosophical man, with an expertise in seemingly every subject (or maybe just a few, since I've only talked to him a few times). Every Monday night, he gives a private shiur to the Americans, in English, about topics that interest and are relevant to us. We are currently discussing how Judaism views other religions, and other topics on the agenda include the Holocaust, shomer negiah, the power of speech, the dual nature of the universe, and the problem of eating 15 plums at once.
Rav Bigman does not actually wear a turban, or any hat, for that matter. He does wear glasses (not pictured) that change color in the sun (also not pictured), and gives a lot of his non-classroom lectures under a tree. Although his classes are very deep and challenging, an issue for me has been following his speeches. Whether in English or in Hebrew, Rav Bigman has a style of speaking that involves a change of speeds, a variety of topics, tangential discussions, and, when in Hebrew, throwing in English words that have been "Hebricized," such as
"situatzia" or "dialogia." Still, like the rest of the yeshiva experience, I'm sure that Rav Bigman just needs some getting used to.Also, I want to wish everyone a Shabbat Shalom, so I will use this following passage from an excellent movie:
Walter: I'm saying, I see what you're getting at, Dude, he kept the money. My point is, here we are, it's shabbas, the sabbath, which I'm allowed to break only if it's a matter of life or death...
The Dude: Will you come off it, Walter? You're not even Jewish, man.
Walter: What are you talkin' about?
The Dude: Man, you're Polish Catholic...
Walter: What are you talking about? I converted when I married Cynthia! Come on, Dude!
The Dude: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...
Walter: And you know this!
The Dude: Yeah, and five years ago you were divorced.
Walter: So what are you saying? When you get divorced you turn in your library card? You get a new license? You stop being Jewish?
The Dude: It's all a part of your sick Cynthia thing, man. Taking care of her dog. Going to her synagogue. You're living in the past.
Walter: Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax... [shouting] You're right I'm living in the past!
- The Big Lebowski




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home