Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Daily Schedule (Part I)

People have been asking me, What is a day like at Ma'aleh Gilboa? That is a great question, almost as good as the question, How many ways can I prepare my daily cucumber? I can only answer one of the questions in the space provided (the answer of the other is rapidly approaching infinity).

6:20– my alarm goes off. If I get up, I proceed to the Beit Midrash. If not… well…
6:45– shacharit in the Beit Midrash (see picture at right). And, on top of being awake this early, I get to daven in a Sefardic minyan.
7:30ish– from the time when davenning ends to breakfast, we have Morning Seder, which is usually reserved for Halacha. I study with Rabin, who you met previously.
8:00– breakfast. I'm thinking of doing a menu entry separately, so for now, I will say cucumbers, tomatoes, bread, cheese, and hard boiled eggs. On second thought, maybe scratch that menu idea, that about covers it.
8:30– morning "shiur" (on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays) and "Va'adim" Mondays and Thursdays. I've heard they're interesting, because if (or more appropriately, when) I sleep in, I usually use this time to pray.
9:15– introductory shiur. During this time, I meet with my Rabbi, Rav Yitzchak, who tells us what we should try to accomplish in the upcoming B'Iyun seder.
9:30– B'Iyun Seder, where we prepare, with a chevruta, the gmara necessary to understand the B'Iyun shiur. I'm still trying to find the right chevruta for b'iyun time. It's kinda like J-Date, except that we already know each other's phone number. And, no girls.
11:45– B'Iyun Shiur. The rabbis lecture on what we just learned (although it's usually not a lecture, what with the Israelis yelling out their ideas. Americans, on the other hand, raise their hands and patiently wait, sometimes for the entire time).
12:50– lunch time and freetime. Lunch is the only good meal (or rather, the unique) meal of the day, with soup and chicken and vegetables, none of which are cucumbers. Freetime, for me, is a daily Sudoku, followed by a nap in the niceness of the air conditioner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home