Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Rav Mulder and Rebbitzin Scully Present...

...another entry for "The R Files."

Rabin
Wears: plaid shirts, a la Wengeler (but not as bright)
Chest hair: overflows out of the collar of his shirt
Gives off a weird aroma: Yes

No one knows Rabin's last name. (Or, if that is his last name, no one knows his first name. I prefer to think of his last name as Rabinitzky, so I could call him Rabbi Rabin Rabinitzky) Everyone just calls him Rabin, like the Jewish version of Madonna or Sting. He looks like an MidEastern Chico Marx, except without the humor (by the way, there is an older student who I think looks like Harpo. I am considering growing a mustache and buying cigars...) I learn Mishna Brura with him every morning, or every morning that I manage to get out of bed in time for davenning. Maybe I should just say I learn with him on occassion.
This week, he is giving tours of the Beit Midrash, and my turn (my last name starting with a Bet) was the first day, Monday. I guess the best thing I could say about the tour was that he didn't notice if someone left. We spent twenty minutes looking through what felt like every book on Bookshelf 1, and I left shortly thereafter ("There Yonatan, do you see this number 12 at the bottom of this page?" This, for about thirty different books in twenty minutes). I'm glad I did; the tour was about an hour and a half. You know, there was once a time when a tour of a single room took about ten minutes.
So, to review: Gimli, Dumbledore, Jon Lovitz, Chico. More celebrities later.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Yoni,

Your blog is great. I'll be tuning in as often as possible. Here are some solutions to your mysterious inquiries:

1. As to whatyou had for dinner on Rosh Hashana? I wasn't there, but I sure hope it WAS chicken.
2.More than likely you're a lazy American who's soft; Israelis are up at the crack 'o dawn hauling hay or harvesting... they live for the moment. Yoni: remember to carpe diem.
3. Again, I wasn't there, but I think maybe you'd better start tuning in.
4. Tell "Enrique" to sleep in the fetal position. It's been known to work.
5. No crisis, my friend. It's called capitalism.
6. Dysfunctional air conditioning is a rite of passage in kibbutz life. You'll adjust.
7. Cucumbers are green, cool, grow everywhere in Israel, and are a key ingredient to Israeli salad. Duh!

Anyway, k'tivah V'chatimah tova. Shana Tova. Gabriela

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home