Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Shabbat, and more rabbis


Hi all,
Had another restful Shabbat back at the kibbutz. Slept, read parts of Malcolm Gladwell's "The Tipping Point" (the same author who wrote "Blink"), ate an excellent cholent (I am one of the founding four members of the Cholent Club). Oh yeah, and did stuff like pray and sing and listen to dvar torahs. That sort of fun thing. Learned an excellent card game called "Yaniv" or "Challenge." My Friday night oneg was spent learning Hebrew slang such as "Fanan" (very fun) or "Al-Hapanim" (not good) or "Ima Shelcha" (the always-classic 'your mom'). You know, that old chestnut.

Also, for the rabbi files:

Rabbi Yossi Slotnik
Born in: South Africa
Lives on: the kibbutz
Hair/sideburns: brown/white

Rabbi Yossi is the rabbi who picked us up in Jerusalem that first night, and he is our American liaison. Whenever an American has a problem, we go to him. He looks like Jon Lovitz, just a little larger, with glasses and white sideburns (you can't make that up). Rabbi Yossi is also the guy to go to if: (a) you want to talk to a staff person in English; (b) you want to eat real food at his house, instead of cucumbers etc.; (c) you need help understanding a certain piece of gmara and he happens to be available (note: part "c" applies to all rabbis, but just doing an "a" and a "b" would have looked stupid). Additionally, it's getting harder to find a corresponding celebrity to match every teacher, but I'm working on it. More later.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'd just like to add that I too learned the game "Yaniv" when I was in Israel last month. Some kids in Kochav Yair showed it to me, and I must admit I did not enjoy it-- it doesn't really involve that much skill, just the first person to end up with a card total of 7 or lower wins... anyways, hope all is well, see you in December...

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home