AskYoni
As some of you remember, and as most of you probably do not, I initiated an AskYoni feature on February 11. In the feature where I answer any questions you might have about any subject.
Dear Yoni,
You seem to be playing a lot of basketball. Apart from the different-shaped key, are there any striking differences between American basketball and Israeli basketball?
-Joshua Neal Abitmann
Dear Josh,
There are several important differences between playing basketball in the States and in Israel. Here are some rules that are often overlooked here:
Rule 10-Section V
b. Kicking the ball or striking it with any part of the leg is a violation when it is an intentional act. The ball accidentally striking the foot, the leg or fist is not a violation.
Rule 4-Section IX
Traveling is progressing in any direction while in possession of the ball, which is in excess of prescribed limits as noted in Rule 4-Section VIII and Rule 10- Section XIV.
Rule 12-Section III
A player who sets a screen shall not ... (2) make illegal contact with an opponent when he assumes a posi-tion at the side or front of an opponent, or ...(4) move laterally or toward an opponent being screened, after having assumed a legal position...
The three main rules here are (1) push harder, (2) yell louder, and (3) calls do not go both ways. Normally, I don't care, but last night there were some blatant and repeated instances of moving screens, balls that were not kicked, and three-and-a-half steps that I called and did not get. I also lost some arguing calls, such as "how is it off me if I let it go out of bounds?" But to no avail. Israelis have much better yelling skills. Such are talents I need to improve to play in the, shall we say, נ.ב.א.
Dear Yoni,
What did you have for lunch today?
-Ninja Elmo Bustahana
Dear Elmo,
I'm not sure I totally trust anyone who signs his name "Ninja," but the answer is schnitzel, rice, potatoes, mixed vegetables, and mushroom soup.
Dear Yoni,
Ma'aleh Gilboa seems like such a boring place, apart from the intellectual stimulation of the Beit Midrash. What do you do when you're not learning, and of course I assume you're learning for a good amount of time.
-Samantha Jane Bulion
Dear Samantha,
Today is a good example of me not doing a lot of learning. The whole morning, my roommates and I swept the floor of our room, which looked like it had dirt from the 1960s, and mopped it. We did this for two reasons. One was to clean the room for Pesach, and get rid of all the chametz (leavened food products). The other reason was just to do some cleaning of a messy room. The cleaning is harder than it seems, considering all the furniture we had to rearrange. After a quick lunch break, we finished putting the room back in order. Josh and I saw off Ilan, who leaves for Poland tomorrow morning and thus had to hitchhike down the mountain this afternoon. I attended mincha and a class with Rav Yitzchak about the tabernacle, and then proceeded to do some packing. I met a chevruta, and after dinner, did some more packing and cleaning. So though I didn't do that much learning, I did do a lot of other valuable things. Tomorrow, hopefully, will be more learning.
Dear Yoni,
We know you are coming home for Pesach break. Can you bring us some souveneirs, such as chocolate eggs or a shawarma from Moshiko's on Ben Yeuhda street? If not, that's fine. We just won't ever talk to you again.
-Annabel & Justin Omaha
Dear Annabel and Justin,
Who are you people???
Dear Yoni,
Are you excited to be coming home for Pesach? I can't figure out that counter thingy; when do you leave? What do you plan to do when you get back to the States?
-Nathan James Boulian
Dear Nathan,
My flight leaves for America at 12:05 a.m. Thursday, March 30. On my plane will be Max "Mordechai" Rabin and, I just found out, Ebby Hanasab. Am I excited to be coming back for Pesach? Heck yeah. As to what I plan to do? Eat real food, both homecooking and restaurants. Sleep in my bed and shower in my shower. Hang out with my LA peeps (if I may use the term) and my friends who also came back to LA for Pesach. Go to LA sporting events. Spend time with my family. Go swimming. The list will go on and on, so maybe let's end there.
That was great, keep the questions coming!
Exactly 2 days, 23 hours until I go home.
Dear Yoni,
You seem to be playing a lot of basketball. Apart from the different-shaped key, are there any striking differences between American basketball and Israeli basketball?
-Joshua Neal Abitmann
Dear Josh,
There are several important differences between playing basketball in the States and in Israel. Here are some rules that are often overlooked here:
Rule 10-Section V
b. Kicking the ball or striking it with any part of the leg is a violation when it is an intentional act. The ball accidentally striking the foot, the leg or fist is not a violation.
Rule 4-Section IX
Traveling is progressing in any direction while in possession of the ball, which is in excess of prescribed limits as noted in Rule 4-Section VIII and Rule 10- Section XIV.
Rule 12-Section III
A player who sets a screen shall not ... (2) make illegal contact with an opponent when he assumes a posi-tion at the side or front of an opponent, or ...(4) move laterally or toward an opponent being screened, after having assumed a legal position...
The three main rules here are (1) push harder, (2) yell louder, and (3) calls do not go both ways. Normally, I don't care, but last night there were some blatant and repeated instances of moving screens, balls that were not kicked, and three-and-a-half steps that I called and did not get. I also lost some arguing calls, such as "how is it off me if I let it go out of bounds?" But to no avail. Israelis have much better yelling skills. Such are talents I need to improve to play in the, shall we say, נ.ב.א.
Dear Yoni,
What did you have for lunch today?
-Ninja Elmo Bustahana
Dear Elmo,
I'm not sure I totally trust anyone who signs his name "Ninja," but the answer is schnitzel, rice, potatoes, mixed vegetables, and mushroom soup.
Dear Yoni,
Ma'aleh Gilboa seems like such a boring place, apart from the intellectual stimulation of the Beit Midrash. What do you do when you're not learning, and of course I assume you're learning for a good amount of time.
-Samantha Jane Bulion
Dear Samantha,
Today is a good example of me not doing a lot of learning. The whole morning, my roommates and I swept the floor of our room, which looked like it had dirt from the 1960s, and mopped it. We did this for two reasons. One was to clean the room for Pesach, and get rid of all the chametz (leavened food products). The other reason was just to do some cleaning of a messy room. The cleaning is harder than it seems, considering all the furniture we had to rearrange. After a quick lunch break, we finished putting the room back in order. Josh and I saw off Ilan, who leaves for Poland tomorrow morning and thus had to hitchhike down the mountain this afternoon. I attended mincha and a class with Rav Yitzchak about the tabernacle, and then proceeded to do some packing. I met a chevruta, and after dinner, did some more packing and cleaning. So though I didn't do that much learning, I did do a lot of other valuable things. Tomorrow, hopefully, will be more learning.
Dear Yoni,
We know you are coming home for Pesach break. Can you bring us some souveneirs, such as chocolate eggs or a shawarma from Moshiko's on Ben Yeuhda street? If not, that's fine. We just won't ever talk to you again.
-Annabel & Justin Omaha
Dear Annabel and Justin,
Who are you people???
Dear Yoni,
Are you excited to be coming home for Pesach? I can't figure out that counter thingy; when do you leave? What do you plan to do when you get back to the States?
-Nathan James Boulian
Dear Nathan,
My flight leaves for America at 12:05 a.m. Thursday, March 30. On my plane will be Max "Mordechai" Rabin and, I just found out, Ebby Hanasab. Am I excited to be coming back for Pesach? Heck yeah. As to what I plan to do? Eat real food, both homecooking and restaurants. Sleep in my bed and shower in my shower. Hang out with my LA peeps (if I may use the term) and my friends who also came back to LA for Pesach. Go to LA sporting events. Spend time with my family. Go swimming. The list will go on and on, so maybe let's end there.
That was great, keep the questions coming!
Exactly 2 days, 23 hours until I go home.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home