Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Ravfather and "Duck Soup"

Tom Haagen-Dazs: Help me, Ravfather. I need a favor.
The Ravfather: Ask, for I cannot refuse a favor on the day of my daughter's wedding.
Tom: I need you to make all the rabbis not come to yeshiva, cancel all normal classes, and close the makolet early this Thursday.
Ravfather: That is three favors in one request, but I will do it, since I cannot refuse a favor on the day--
Tom: --of your daughter's wedding. I know.
Ravfather: What's'a matter with you? Show some respect, or you'll sleep with the gefilte fishes.
Tom: I'm sorry, Ravfather. Thank you, Ravfather.
Luchot Brasi: Ravfather, I am honored and grateful that you have invited me to your daughter... 's wedding... on the day of your daughter's wedding. And I hope their first child be a masculine child, and that I will be invited to the bris. I pledge my ever-ending loyalty.
Ravfather: Leave the Rambam. Take the cannoli.



Today is the day of Rav Bigman's daughter's wedding, and even though the yeshiva students were not invited, the event dramatically altered what happened today. Most of the rabbis didn't show up for their usual Thursday classes. Rav Gilad, Rav Shmuel, and Rav Yitzchak (in addition to Rav Bigman) were not here today; I think most were getting ready for the wedding. They had moved all their classes to earlier in the week, but all the same, the yeshiva felt relatively empty of rabbinical supervision. As a result, there were none of the regular classes, and even though there were others in their places, it did not feel the same. The makolet closed early for the wedding, though I'm not sure why, as the wedding is near Netanya (relatively close to Tel Aviv and Ra'anana, though all Israel is relatively close). Coupled with the fact that most of the shvushim (next year's students) have already arrived for this Shabbat, my last Thursday before the break felt very strange.

Stranger yet, I may not have my last late Thursday night. I am considering going on a tiyul tomorrow with Yehuda and DMD, so we might have to leave early tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll put some pictures up, as I haven't been posting as many images as I would have liked.

However, tonight I did watch a movie, getting back to the Thursday movie night tradition. Tonight's feature presentation was the Marx Brothers' "Duck Soup." Some of the movie felt weak and diminished, especially when taking into account the weak camerawork, "special" effects, and sound mixing, though I suppose that's to be expected of a movie from 1933. Yet some truly hilarious scenes made up for it. True, some of the humor did not resonate as well as it did when I was younger, or if I had seen the film in the 1930s, and some of the jokes felt stale and flat. That said, there were some great lines and jokes that made me laugh, even 73 years later. Groucho had a few good quips, Chico made some silly puns, and Harpo was Harpo, but the brothers' true genius was on display when they were in a scene together. The peanut vendor shenanigans, Trentino and his spies, and especially the mirror of Grouchos left me in the proverbial stitches. By the way, anyone know why the movie is called "Duck Soup"?

It's getting late, and I need to be up early for the tiyul (hopefully). Good night, and good luck.

Exactly 6 days, 35 minutes until I go home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home