Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

My Dilemma

Today I was faced with a real dilemma. Perhaps not a moral dilemma, but a dilemma nonetheless. And though the strength of the dilemma was somewhat diminished by the fact that the answer was already there, I still pondered this dilemma.

Some background: today was my last day of community service with Ohr before Pesach break. That much was certain; as I am leaving back for America in less than a week (!), I told Ohr's mother that I would be unable to attend again before May. However, beyond today, the yeshiva is unsure of whether community service will continue. The details are a bit hazy, but I believe the reason to this is that the yeshiva and the social service agency dosagree as to who should pay for the buses from Mt. Gilboa to Beit Shean. As they have yet to reach an agreement, we don't know what will happen next week, or the rest of the year.

The dilemma, in a nutshell, is this: do we tell our charges that this is our last time? All the people on my bus were not sure what to say. We could say this is our last time and sever the relationship, but we also don't want the kids to find a new mentor if in fact a bus agreement is reached and we are able to continue. On the other hand, not saying anything could be, in a way, worse, as there is no official end, no goodbye.

The yeshiva told us about this dilemma last night, describing what I mentioned above. Zevik cleared his throat, ready to give us the final word: "As what you should do tomorrow..." Dramatic pause. "...I don't know." Great.

I didn't get a chance to decide for myself, because when I arrived, Ohr's mother had left her kid in the charge of his uncle Moti, so I couldn't talk to her about my community service future. I'm still unsure what to do. I think I will call her tomorrow and tell her that I won't be able to come again until at least May. That's true, but it also allows me some time to find out what will happen.

Other than that, today was a regular day of yeshiva learning. It was my last full Wednesday here. I don't know if I will say that for every day until I leave, but I might. I played some Ultimate Frisbee, and tonight I am going to play some basketball. I played two nights ago, and as there were no people waiting to get in, I got to play in the five-on-five until everyone left. Since I was in the whole time, I got into a rhythm, and I scored 12 points, and had nine rebounds, two steals, three blocks, and six assists. Actually, I know I had 12 points, as it was my first double-digit night at yeshiva, but I didn't really tally the rest (but they are a good approximation, as they show my involvement at both ends of the court).

Exactly 7 days, 1 hour until I go home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home