Ramot Control... okay, I just wanted to make that pun
I know I keep writing this, but I can't believe that I have just concluded my last free shabbat in Israel before the break. Today was my last full day in Israel in a place not called Gilboa. Because in less than two weeks, I am going home.
I spent shabbat at the Aminoffs' in Ramot, and I was a bit surprised to discover that Ronen's parents are not Israeli, but English and South African. In retrospect, I shouldn't have been too shocked; I think most of the students in my shiluv have parents who made aliyah. The four kids (Ronen is the third) all speak English with a British accent.
Friday night, after praying at a Sefardic synagogue, we ate Shabbat dinner that featured a zesty Hawaiian chicken, complete with pineapple chunks. Following dinner, we walked to Ramot 06, where we were joined by Ronen's friends Benjy (who made aliyah from LA) and Sarah (Brooklyn). We sat on a wet bench and talked for a while, then we walked to Bnei Akiva building of Ramot Bet, where we met up with YMGuy Yochai Greenfield. Ronen and I walked to his house and talked and laughed over sunflower seeds, hot tea, and date-flavored hamantaschen. They told me a story that left me in tears, the tale of Ronen making a warped balloon animal and giving it to Benjamin Epstein. "A puppy!" he said.
Apart from the davenning on Saturday (a Squidward impersonator led Mussaf), the day was typically relaxing. I took a good long nap, and read a hilarious book, "Carry On, Jeeves." P.G. Wodehouse's ten short stories tell of clueless Bertie Wooster and his faithful and domineering butler Jeeves, and are written in the British humor that is shared by Monty Python. I also took a walk with Ronen around Ramot, and he pointed out to me the surrounding neighborhoods of Jerusalem, such as Pisgat Zev, Ramat Eshkol, and a few other places I don't remember.
After shabbat, we went to town, to use the colloquial phrase. Ronen's friend Ori picked us up, and we drove to Emek Refaim. It was thoroughly infested with Americans. I realized how interesting it was for me to be saying that, as I myself am, in fact, an American. I think that being at YMG has influenced me somewhat in that regard, in that I see Americans in Israel in a different respect, that people at American programs seem very touristy. Or maybe I'm just too Israeli when I have no right to be.
We met Tzachi, another YMGuy, on Emek Refaim, and proceeded to dine at the cafe Caffit. Or, as we didn't really dine, we... what's the verb? Cafed? Well, I guess you could say we talked over hot chocolate and vegetable soup, hot liquids that felt very good against the brutal chill of mid-March in Jerusalem. After eating, we walked up and down the street. I waited for the Jerusalem Mentality to kick in, and who did we see? Hedi! Zev! Yehuda Lerea! A triumverate of YMGuys walking the streets (true, they were walking separately, but never mind). Ori, Ronen, Tzachi, Zev and I walked to the Bell Gardens and talked of politics, architecture, and who gave the Americans the Liberty Bell (I believe it was made in Philadelphia by a company called Pass & Stow, though I am not sure). We were out till about one, then we went home. Back to yeshiva tomorrow.
Shavua Tov.
I spent shabbat at the Aminoffs' in Ramot, and I was a bit surprised to discover that Ronen's parents are not Israeli, but English and South African. In retrospect, I shouldn't have been too shocked; I think most of the students in my shiluv have parents who made aliyah. The four kids (Ronen is the third) all speak English with a British accent.
Friday night, after praying at a Sefardic synagogue, we ate Shabbat dinner that featured a zesty Hawaiian chicken, complete with pineapple chunks. Following dinner, we walked to Ramot 06, where we were joined by Ronen's friends Benjy (who made aliyah from LA) and Sarah (Brooklyn). We sat on a wet bench and talked for a while, then we walked to Bnei Akiva building of Ramot Bet, where we met up with YMGuy Yochai Greenfield. Ronen and I walked to his house and talked and laughed over sunflower seeds, hot tea, and date-flavored hamantaschen. They told me a story that left me in tears, the tale of Ronen making a warped balloon animal and giving it to Benjamin Epstein. "A puppy!" he said.
Apart from the davenning on Saturday (a Squidward impersonator led Mussaf), the day was typically relaxing. I took a good long nap, and read a hilarious book, "Carry On, Jeeves." P.G. Wodehouse's ten short stories tell of clueless Bertie Wooster and his faithful and domineering butler Jeeves, and are written in the British humor that is shared by Monty Python. I also took a walk with Ronen around Ramot, and he pointed out to me the surrounding neighborhoods of Jerusalem, such as Pisgat Zev, Ramat Eshkol, and a few other places I don't remember.
After shabbat, we went to town, to use the colloquial phrase. Ronen's friend Ori picked us up, and we drove to Emek Refaim. It was thoroughly infested with Americans. I realized how interesting it was for me to be saying that, as I myself am, in fact, an American. I think that being at YMG has influenced me somewhat in that regard, in that I see Americans in Israel in a different respect, that people at American programs seem very touristy. Or maybe I'm just too Israeli when I have no right to be.
We met Tzachi, another YMGuy, on Emek Refaim, and proceeded to dine at the cafe Caffit. Or, as we didn't really dine, we... what's the verb? Cafed? Well, I guess you could say we talked over hot chocolate and vegetable soup, hot liquids that felt very good against the brutal chill of mid-March in Jerusalem. After eating, we walked up and down the street. I waited for the Jerusalem Mentality to kick in, and who did we see? Hedi! Zev! Yehuda Lerea! A triumverate of YMGuys walking the streets (true, they were walking separately, but never mind). Ori, Ronen, Tzachi, Zev and I walked to the Bell Gardens and talked of politics, architecture, and who gave the Americans the Liberty Bell (I believe it was made in Philadelphia by a company called Pass & Stow, though I am not sure). We were out till about one, then we went home. Back to yeshiva tomorrow.
Shavua Tov.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home