Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Victory is Mine!

The weather, so far quite pleasant for the month of February, has suddenly taken a turn for the worse. During the day, the skies are an ominous gray, threatening rain. And usually, the black night fulfills the promise of the morning skies. There is usually a strong wind, that both blows the rain at sharp angles, as well as influencing the "wind-chill factor." The only word I can think of can be described by the following picture:


blustery.
Tuesday was my greatest moment of Jewish Geography yet. As I was snacking on some Oreos that I brought to the Beit Midrash, an boger asked me if he could have one. Now, I don't know most of the bogers, and I must admit that I did not recognize him. Nevertheless, he looked very very familiar. When he took the cookie, he said "thababa," and the lisp reminded me.

"Yaya?" I asked. "Yaya Fink?"

Yaya Fink was my counselor at a summer camp I attended, Camp Tel Yehuda in Berryville, NY. This was in 2001. I remembered him from nearly four and a half years ago. He is in shiluv yud (10), and he is here to learn on a brief army furlough.


Yesterday was community service, in which I aptly participated by watching Ohr (left) do a puzzle by himself for the entirety of the time there. I sat there watching him, having nothing else to do.

Apparently, this did not sit well with his mother, who wanted me to play with him, even though he clearly indicated that he did not want me to help at all. "Talk with him," she told me. With? How can I talk with someone who won't talk back, both because of his physical disabilities and his desire to be left alone? I tried, though to no avail. I even offered to read him his four favorite books, just to be talking to him. (From left) "A Dinner Invitation"; "The Lion who Loved Strawberries"; "Hot Corn"; and "Eliezer and the Carrot." But no. The puzzle!

Last night I watched the highly-acclaimed Coen brothers movie "O Brother Where Art Thou?" The story parallels "The Odyssey," and I noticed some of the many references to the Homer's epic. Although, it was a typical Coen movie, which meant that it was somewhat odd in many ways. And, that it had many of the same Coen brothers faces (John Turturro, John Goodman, to name a few).

I am also watching the TV show "Scrubs," which is a lot of fun. I think the word that best describes the show is "quirky." Now, when I have all these good movies to see (there is a Hitchcock collection, Coen brothers collection, Seinfeld, as well as some of my own movies on my list), why, you might ask, am I watching a TV show? See, the thing is, with so few computers that can play DVDs (Ilan, David Zvi, Weiler), people are afraid that they will have to give the computer back in the middle of the movie. So watching a 22-minute episode is safer, and allows you to finish at least one good "TV Unit."

Before I go see what we're doing tonight for Thursday night fun night, allow me to announce the final results of the Jerusalem Post's blog awards:

3rd place: More Tales of Crime and Treason on the High Seas (14%)

2nd place: Beach Hillel (15%)

1st place: Yoni in Israel (28%) !!!!!!

Thank you all for your support, your votes, and your listening ear.

You stay classy, blogdom.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations from LA! Keep writing....

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home