Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Lots of R's: Reading, 'riting, Resting, Reclining, R-lunching...

Shabbat is over, but the weekend is just beginning. The van leaves back to YMG tomorrow morning, so we have a full day on the town before the Superbowl at 1:30 a.m. The only semi-downside to all this is that all my friends at Jerusalem yeshivas are business-as-usual, as this Sunday is to them a regular day. Then again, considering my succcess rate of the past two days, I don't think it would have mattered much anyway.

Shabbat at the Avericks' was just as I expected it to be:
Looking forward to good food, time for reading, and sleep.

The food was superb, though I missed Jose's famous cholent by one shabbat. I did some reading- finished the controversial "A Million Little Pieces," read "The Little Prince," and read some of Buber's "I and Thou."
I also got a healthy amount of sleep, which I will need to stay up for the entire game tonight.

Lunch was also intersting yesterday. We had an engaged couple, Ya'akov and Anna for lunch. He was French, she Italian. I felt like I was attending a UN banquet, with French, Italian, Mexican (Jose), American (Sarah), and Israelis (all the kids). It also felt like the UN as I had to find places for everyone to sit while making sure that (a) the couple sat next to Jose and/or Sarah, (b) Avital and her friend Chagit were sitting next to each other, and (c) Nehemiah and Elisheva were not sitting next to or across from each other. I finally made it work. Go Model UN!

Last night was not too exciting. I was supposed to meet Ariel Hausman on Ben Yehuda Street last night, but at the last second he called in sick, leaving me with nothing to do. I called a few more people, to no success. So I spent the rest of the night doing some reading and writing. Hopefully, today I'll be able to see some people.

Birthday time! Three birthdays today! I think that breaks the record of two. Avi Samuels! Dani Fattal! Jason Ast! You are all a combined 82 years old (I think). So let us sing in birthday harmony (you know, I'm running out of ways to say that, aren't I?):

Happy birthday to yous,
Happy birthday to yous,
Happy birthday to Avi, Jason, and Dani,
Happy birthday to yous!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yoni, when're you coming back? We loved Shabbat w/you -- including you kicking off the divrei Torah and your consummate negotiating skills over seating.

Love,

Sara & Jose et al

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home