Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Remember that rabbi thing?

Well, if you do, then you'll remember that there were some rabbis I never got around to introducing, due to either an inability to find a lookalike, or to the fact that I had more interesting things to discuss. But fear no more, members of this great blog, for I, Yoni the Wise, Present to you... more rabbis!

Rav Zevik
Age of son Michael: 1 year
Instrument played: guitar
Spiritual: yes

Rav Zevik is the mashgiach of the yeshiva, a position that I don't quite understand. He only teaches one class, Introduction to Chasidut. But he is a fan favorite here at the yeshiva. His energy radiates wherever he goes, and he is a great chazzan: he did shacharit and mussaf on days one and two, respectively, of Rosh HaShanah. He is also the coordinator of community service.

Rav Chezi Cohen
Area of expertise: Tanach
Teaches only on: Mondays
Boring: no

Rav Chezi teaches Tanach, three classes on Mondays: the book of Joshua, the book of Exodus, and Bkiyut Tanach (reading Tanach quickly, to the pace of, say, four chapters of Tanach a day). His classes are clear and easy to understand, and his knowledge of Tanach allows him to cross-reference sources with incredible speed and accuracy. He is also Sefardic, and probably eats rice on Pesach.

Rav Elisha Anchilovitz
From: New York
Twitches his mouth when speaking: all the time
Confusing: yes

Now, when I say confusing, keep in mind that these classes (Meta-Halacha) are in English. These classes, just for the Americans, are about the evolution of Halacha and decision-making in our times; at least, that's what I think they are about. The texts are confusing, the lectures mind-numbing, and the homework challenging. For instance, when doing the first homework (about pruzbul, or loans during the Jubilee year), my chevrutas and I were confused about how to read a text. When we asked the Rav, he responded with "Can you read Rashi?" We all said yes, expecting a revelation. He followed that with "Can you write Rashi?" We all said no, still waiting. He then walked off, leaving us to our confused thoughts.

Rav Meir
Okay, the only time I've ever talked to him was to ask him if I could take this picture. He teaches a gmara shiur (which I can't go to, since I am with Rav Yitzchak), and that's it. So I know nothing about him, other than that he is Swedish.

Other than that, happy Rosh Chodesh (Cheshvan as well as November).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm late on this response, but I had to chop cucumbers yesterday. Regarding the hundred things you miss in US and people thinking you're unhappy--WHAT PLANET ARE YOU FROM??? Re the 100 things you miss, that only tells us you were a happy, well adjusted kid with lots of wonderful things (cucumbers excluded, of course)in your life. Your blogs are always hilarious and I find that no matter what (including cucumber saturation) you are one person who finds the humor in everything. Am I reading you wrong or are you making a sometimes challenging place fun and funny at every turn?? You have a fraternity, (hazing possiblity--involve eating cucumbers...recognize the dangers and avoid ODing...), you have a lovely rug to pull your room together, you almost had sauteed sea bass with lightly grilled veggies on the side (then you woke up to the cucumbers, which I understand keep company with tomatoes sometimes...), you find the hilarity in every situation. In my family, we don't tolerate whining--if you don't like something, find something to laugh about. Unfortunately, that something is usually my inability to get any saying/expression right. Ok, my list of 20 things I miss since Benjamin has left--we can ALL have lists:

1. More cucumbers for the rest of us.
2. No more asking him to define the big words he sometimes uses.
3. The housekeeper has one less room to clean and can therefore now clean MY room better.
4. No more washing half an inch of gunk off his glasses. (By the way, if you see him--ask him to clean his glasses...)
5. Yoniinisrael blog every day!!
6. Less laundry.
7. More food.
8. No more stomaches from laughing too hard at his awful puns.
9. He has MANY new friends at yeshiva!
10. uh...I miss him making me laugh..
11. I miss obsessing over bridge hands with him...uh oh...I'm deteriorating. Never mind, I'm finished with my list. Ah, one more!
12. He met Yoni with whom he shares a passion for laughing at funny situations!
Yoni, I've never found you to be negative and I think you're at the perfect yeshiva. I look forward to your daily blogs so I know what you all are doing there. I'll even overlook the minor slur on sephardim--I'm a true blue, belly-dancing sephardic with roots in Morocco. Keep up the daily blogs--Tina

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home