Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Thursday, October 27, 2005

"Fa-No-Ha-So" and other fun stuff

Well, my Sukkot break is almost over. When I pointed this out to Aaron Abramson, he said "Baruch HaShem." Not exactly my sentiments about getting back to yeshiva, but it will be a bit nice to get back to the northern mountain I am curently calling home.

The last few days have involved mainly two activities: walking and seeing friends. Wednesday, my father and I spent the entire morning walking around Jerusalem, scouting out hotels and restaurants for my brother Matthew's bar mitzvah (coming this Christmas to a theater near you (if you are in Israel)). Just to whet your appetite of what's in the works, there is a hike, a pethouse (not a typo) and a Morroccan bellydancer. Stay tuned.

We then walked to The OC, where we prayed at the Kotel and did some shopping, including a wedding gift I bought for Tranchi and Berkey (I can't say what it is just yet). Dinner was the "seeing friends" part of the day. At Norman's steakhouse, ten of us ate dinner: Shalhevet graduates Max Rabin ('04), Leor Hackel, Liora Pollick, and Ruthie Glass (all '05); current Ma'aleh Gilboans Yehuda Lerea, Benjamin Epstein, and Ilan Caplan; Ohr Sameach third year student Ariel Hausman; and my father and me. We had fun, excitement, good conversation, and steak sandwiches.
And Thursday? I'm glad you asked. We went on a tiyul (trip) starting at Hadassah Ein Karem that lasted a couple of hours. Present were Americans Ilan, Benjamin, Aaron, David, Ezra; and Israelis Omer, Ro'i, Yair and Yehuda. We went swimming in wadis, hiked a lot, and I even learned a new game. I'm not sure what it was called, so I will just call it "Fa-No-Ha-So."

The object of "Fa-No-Ha-So" is to pass energy in an invisible ball. To play, all participants stand in a circle. One person starts by throwing this invisible energy ball to someone else by making eye contact, and must begin by saying "fa." The four types of actions are "fa" (right arm pointing, left hand farther behind); "no" (hands extended, left palm on back of right hand); "ha" (either hand pointed to the side); and "so" (one foot raised, one hand pointing over the head one way, the other hand across the stomach, pointing the other way). "Fa" is just a straightforward pass of energy; "no" blocks the received action back at the giver, making him go again; "ha" and "so" both pass the energy to the side (in the case of "so," to the direction of the top hand).

A player gets out by four ways: (1) by speaking quietly, with no energy; (2) by saying a word with the wrong action; (3) by faltering for too long; (4) by repeating the action that was given to you. The last player standing wins.

Okay, so I realize that this probably wasn't so fun to read; this is one of those games you need to see and try to understand. Nevertheless, it was a lot of fun, and it was worth it to record in this log.

More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home