Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Friday, October 28, 2005

Tel Aviv: the LA of Israel

Before getting to Friday's journey, a recap of Thursday night: Chinese corn soup and shipudim for dinner, meeting up with many Americans at Liora Pollick's birthday party at Coffee Bean, and the Helmet of Glory. To elaborate: a small Persian shop near our hotel had a silver helmet for sale that I immediately noticed walking by. The shopkeeper originally offered it for $1200, then raised the price to $1800 after weighing it (as if this made a difference in the price?). The shopkeeper showed us a few other helmets (though none as impressive as the Helmet of Glory), and though we did not buy anything, we took some excellent pictures.

Friday morning was our last in Jerusalem for this stay. After picking up a long-lost bar mitzvah tape from a shady videographer, and making sure my computer was still incapable of anything, we packed our bags for Tel Aviv. And after an hour drive, we arrived at the Alexander Hotel, where my family spent many a summer years and years ago. It is here that I am typing this entry, in the business office.

Tel Aviv is so different from Jerusalem. Whereas Jerusalem starts to shut down for Shabbat around noon, the tayelet (boardwalk) is still going strong. We had a late fish lunch, which was memorable for the ever-replenishing salads, and the whole fish placed before us. Another difference is how much more you need to check for kosher restaurants in Tel Aviv. And the people, too-- Tel Aviv feels like an Israeli version of Los Angeles, while Jerusalem feels like an Israeli Beverlywood, with lots of Jerusalem stone. I can't think of an LA counterpart to Ma'aleh Gilboa.

Anyway, gotta get ready for the Sabbath. We are having dinner with the Liebermans, again; they are staying at the next door Hilton Tel Aviv. Should be good eating. But before we go, more birthday wishes.

October 28th always seems to have lots of birthdays. When I was younger, my brothers and I would search sports cards to see which athletes had the same birthdays as us; I was always disappointed because the only person I could find was Bret Saberhagen, a retired Red Sox pitcher. Now I know David Mayer-Deutsch, so the people with whom I know I share a birthday is now up to two. But the 28th is replete with birthdays; I remember ex-Bronco running back Terrell Davis having this date, and more people I know were born on this 28th day of October. Ben, for example, a second-year student at Ohr Sameach who I only met this week. Barry Gumerove, though I can't possibly imagine how I remember that after carpooling with his family all those years ago. But perhaps more importantly are two people who actually read this blog, or at least know it exists: my brother Benjy, whose birth ended my one-year experience of being an only child, and has since grown into a mature 17-year old student, artist, neighbor, and confidant; and Liora Pollick, whose birthday party I attended yesterday, and is a good Shalhevet friend. So to two scintillating Scorpios:

Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to Benjy and Liora,
Happy birthday to you!

Shabbat Shalom.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

thank you, but dont you have a better picture of me to use?

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yoni!!! it's your darling cousin dani speaking.. how are you?!
i hope all is well.. i must say, your blogs are very exciting and i'm glad to see you are having a good time. :) e-mail me when you have the chance, or else i will be reduced to checking your blog like the commonfolk i probably am... stay safe! ciao yoni!
love,
dani

11:06 PM  
Blogger Yoni Bain said...

First, great to hear from you, Dani- a new face on the blog is always welcome, provided that face is devoid of bizarre scars and two noses. The picture of Benjy is the only one I have on my camera. And I am working on a bonus point game, so stay tuned for that.

2:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home