The Gift of Dwarves and the Game of Giants
Because of (or perhaps in spite of) a five-day Purim vacation rapidly approaching and the month-long Pesach break looming on the ever-closer horizon, the spirit of the month of Adar has become contagious. Classes are becoming devoted to Purim, Megillat Esther, and the halachic implications of different Hamantaschen fillings (Rava states apricot, while Abaye favors a prune-spinach hybrid, and once again, Abaye loses). While dancing has not reached Shalhevetian levels, there is still some spontaneous dancing going on. Many are anticipating, and some preparing for, Shabbat Zachor, which is the shabbat before Purim, when all the celebrations occur. Rabbi impersonations, faux shiurim, strange costumes-- no one quite knows what's on tap, but it should be great. The Americans are working on a Purim play of our own, so stay tuned for that, I may be able to snag a script to post.
Apart from the usual learning and community service, today featured two Adar-infused activities which I'd like to share here:
Today was the first full day of Gamad V'Anak, which in English is literally Dwarf and Giant. Some of you may know this game as Secret Santa, Mystery Maccabee, or The Game Where One Draws the Name of Another Participant and has to Give Him Presents in an Anonymous Manner. Simply put, the premise of the game is that one draws the name of another participant and has to give him presents in an anonymous manner. We did this last year with Model UN for Chanukah, and the Purim spirit is rockin' with G&A.
To start, people have to submit their name to play, or else people are buying things for people who are not even playing. When I saw the list of participants, I knew it would be fun, but I was concerned that I would draw someone I don't know. As evidenced by the Israeli trivia of the last few months, I know all the guys in my shiluv, but I scarcely know any of the bogrim. As I scanned the list, I said "wouldn't it be awkward if I get a boger like... Matan Lifshitz?"
You guessed it, I got Matan, who I don't know. And yes, I know that some people at the yeshiva are probably reading this, thinking of telling him, but I don't care. Since I don't really know him, there isn't much I've been able to do. I've given him chocolate, and made him say "Oh Shashgaz, I need another month in perfume before you transfer me to the women's fragrance house," but that's about it.
And while most guys are just going with the standard candy delivery, some guys are having a lot of fun with the whole Dwarf-giving-to-the-Giant thing. People have dedicated a pillar to their Giant, sent a third party to give him a massage, thrown candies at him, and arranged smiley-faces for him made of chocolate. I don't know who my Dwarf is, but he has given me three chocolates and a yogurt-flavored lollipop. He's also dedicated a floor tile to me.
The G&A isn't yet over, but since it the first full day was today, and since the main planting/discovery was in the morning, I consider G&A the Adar morning activity.
Tonight was also spirited, but in a completely different way. Netzer, who is in our shiluv but is a year older than us, is going to the army in two weeks. To throw him a going-away party of sorts, we held an inter-shiur basketball tournament. Rav Meir's shiur vs. Rav Yitzchak's shiur vs. Rav Yossi's shiur. And a boger team, too. All competing for the bragging rights, ownership of the Beit Midrash.
Even though not everyone played, most students showed up at Ma'aleh Arena, as I called it. They came to cheer on their class, perform, be there for Netzer, and shoot some hoops. There was an electric guitar plugged to a speaker, as well as a microphone, cheer teams, and Ronen wearing a fez and a fake beard. Two of the shiurim also wrote songs that they performed, although due to the bad accoustics and my unfamiliarity with Hebrew songs, I didn't understand most of them.
And then, the games. First up was Rav Yitzchak's vs. Rav Meir's. Since each side had at least ten players to play in two seven-minute halves, playing time was limited. I got in at the end of the first half, shot 1-for-2 and had three rebounds, as we took a 10-6 halftime lead. But we suffered a 9-0 run by the opposition, and wound up losing 19-14.
Although I was disappointed that I didn't get to play more, and that our title hopes were vanquished, I snatched the opportunity to do a running commentary on the game. True, I didn't have my Telestrator, color commentator, or sexy sideline reporter, but standing on top of a rusty barrel with a microphone was just as fun.
The second game, between Rav Yossi's and the Bogrim, was not too memorable, and I think the final score was 18-8, Bogrim. I do remember not knowing the names of all the Bogrim, so I called them Little Boy Blue (the little guy in a blue shirt), Green Pants (he had green pants on) and Peleg (his name was Noam Peleg). In the final match, the Bogrim steamrolled Rav Meir's, 20-11. Yair Fink took MVP honors with a strong effort at both ends, although the promised prize of a shawarma dinner turned out to be a hoax.
The secretive fun of Gamad V'Anak and the spirited unity of the basketball tournament spoke to me of the essence of Yeshivat Ma'aleh Gilboa. I mean, there is the learning, obviously, but a large part of the character of the place is the Israeli spirit (sprinkled, of course, with the American flavoring). When I looked at the brochure of the place, I saw the body of the yeshiva-- learning styles, teachers, location-- but, as emphasized by today, the students, indescribable in a brochure, give the yeshiva its heart and soul.
Apart from the usual learning and community service, today featured two Adar-infused activities which I'd like to share here:
Today was the first full day of Gamad V'Anak, which in English is literally Dwarf and Giant. Some of you may know this game as Secret Santa, Mystery Maccabee, or The Game Where One Draws the Name of Another Participant and has to Give Him Presents in an Anonymous Manner. Simply put, the premise of the game is that one draws the name of another participant and has to give him presents in an anonymous manner. We did this last year with Model UN for Chanukah, and the Purim spirit is rockin' with G&A.
To start, people have to submit their name to play, or else people are buying things for people who are not even playing. When I saw the list of participants, I knew it would be fun, but I was concerned that I would draw someone I don't know. As evidenced by the Israeli trivia of the last few months, I know all the guys in my shiluv, but I scarcely know any of the bogrim. As I scanned the list, I said "wouldn't it be awkward if I get a boger like... Matan Lifshitz?"
You guessed it, I got Matan, who I don't know. And yes, I know that some people at the yeshiva are probably reading this, thinking of telling him, but I don't care. Since I don't really know him, there isn't much I've been able to do. I've given him chocolate, and made him say "Oh Shashgaz, I need another month in perfume before you transfer me to the women's fragrance house," but that's about it.
And while most guys are just going with the standard candy delivery, some guys are having a lot of fun with the whole Dwarf-giving-to-the-Giant thing. People have dedicated a pillar to their Giant, sent a third party to give him a massage, thrown candies at him, and arranged smiley-faces for him made of chocolate. I don't know who my Dwarf is, but he has given me three chocolates and a yogurt-flavored lollipop. He's also dedicated a floor tile to me.
The G&A isn't yet over, but since it the first full day was today, and since the main planting/discovery was in the morning, I consider G&A the Adar morning activity.
Tonight was also spirited, but in a completely different way. Netzer, who is in our shiluv but is a year older than us, is going to the army in two weeks. To throw him a going-away party of sorts, we held an inter-shiur basketball tournament. Rav Meir's shiur vs. Rav Yitzchak's shiur vs. Rav Yossi's shiur. And a boger team, too. All competing for the bragging rights, ownership of the Beit Midrash.
Even though not everyone played, most students showed up at Ma'aleh Arena, as I called it. They came to cheer on their class, perform, be there for Netzer, and shoot some hoops. There was an electric guitar plugged to a speaker, as well as a microphone, cheer teams, and Ronen wearing a fez and a fake beard. Two of the shiurim also wrote songs that they performed, although due to the bad accoustics and my unfamiliarity with Hebrew songs, I didn't understand most of them.
And then, the games. First up was Rav Yitzchak's vs. Rav Meir's. Since each side had at least ten players to play in two seven-minute halves, playing time was limited. I got in at the end of the first half, shot 1-for-2 and had three rebounds, as we took a 10-6 halftime lead. But we suffered a 9-0 run by the opposition, and wound up losing 19-14.
Although I was disappointed that I didn't get to play more, and that our title hopes were vanquished, I snatched the opportunity to do a running commentary on the game. True, I didn't have my Telestrator, color commentator, or sexy sideline reporter, but standing on top of a rusty barrel with a microphone was just as fun.
The second game, between Rav Yossi's and the Bogrim, was not too memorable, and I think the final score was 18-8, Bogrim. I do remember not knowing the names of all the Bogrim, so I called them Little Boy Blue (the little guy in a blue shirt), Green Pants (he had green pants on) and Peleg (his name was Noam Peleg). In the final match, the Bogrim steamrolled Rav Meir's, 20-11. Yair Fink took MVP honors with a strong effort at both ends, although the promised prize of a shawarma dinner turned out to be a hoax.
The secretive fun of Gamad V'Anak and the spirited unity of the basketball tournament spoke to me of the essence of Yeshivat Ma'aleh Gilboa. I mean, there is the learning, obviously, but a large part of the character of the place is the Israeli spirit (sprinkled, of course, with the American flavoring). When I looked at the brochure of the place, I saw the body of the yeshiva-- learning styles, teachers, location-- but, as emphasized by today, the students, indescribable in a brochure, give the yeshiva its heart and soul.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home