FIST: Ilan and Josh
We've reached the end of FIST, which means that I can go back to writing about, well, anything. But before we do...
First Impressions
These are the two people I knew before I got here. Ilan I met on Genesis, a summer program at Brandeis University in the summer of 2004 (note: Ezra went there the previous year). We were roommates there too. Well, actually, here Ilan is sleeping on the roof, at least for now, while the weather allows it. He is very wise, going to Harvard and all; he knows many Jewish things, and wears a beret. His father is a cantor, so Ilan is very musical. He has a great sense of humor (we did improv at Genesis, though doing the same here, in Hebrew, might take a little time).
Josh I knew from YOLA, my archrival school. I knew him when he came to Shalhevet in senior year (he was dating Amanda Gelb at the time). He is an
optimist, but sleeps in the room, unlike Ilan. We both enjoy sleeping late and the air conditioner (two things Ilan dislikes, which may explain the whole roof thing). He is the messy one in the room; his belongings are dispersed farther than the Ten Lost Tribes, or something like that. He likes learning, but we have different styles; we found that out when he tried for an hour to explain one sentence to me in gmara. Needless to say, we are no longer gmara chevrutas.
Second Thoughts
Ilan represents half of my roommate situation. Although, as Josh and I are always keen to
remind him, he isn't really a roommate, but rather visiting us from his roof. Ilan always seems to be busy: learning, of course, but also conducting the yeshiva choir, going on hikes, writing in his diary, or a variety of other things. Ilan usually has a sharp insight to contribute to the discussion, be it Jewish or otherwise, unless he's fallen asleep. Ilan understands my sense of humor, and has his own: in addition to our improv, he is also a medical clown who inflates balloons in the shape of flowers and crowns. Ilan takes a leadership position in many of his endeavors, such as directing the Purim play or planning surprise parties or organizing the choir. He hasn't cut his hair for a while, and coupled with his scraggly beard, often looks very hoboish. Ilan has an assortment of hats (in addition to the berets in both these pictures, he also has a Chilean llama-fur hat), and is a vegetarian.
Josh is the human tornado of our room. Wherever he walks, a wake of mess follows. Shirts, towels, papers, trash-- floorspace becomes Joshspace. Messiness aside, however, Josh is a learner and a leader. He recently completed the presentation of a Rav-Elisha-style shiur about birth control in Judaism, and I often see him reading a book by a Rabbi Berkovitz on contemporary issues. Outside of the learning sphere, Josh has started an organization called Alinea, for students in Israel wanting to make a difference in global affairs, and
also helped organize the ordering of yeshiva T-shirts, both leading to the "Josh's 'I'm the Man'" mode. We watched the first season of "Scrubs" together, and we have talks about Harry Potter, Los Angeles, and music (though I don't particularly care for the Screaming Monkeys and Death Cab Cutie, or whatever those bands are called). Josh is very loquacious and sociable, managing (for the most part) to stay in touch with a lot of his YOLA friends who are in Israel for the year. He does a lot of running for excercize, something I have been mostly unable to do with my now-healing toe.
You know what? These were exceedingly difficult and complex. I thought it would be easier to write, but it really isn't. Now that I've gotten to know these people over the past few months, I see them more as a whole person than before, and it is much harder to capture a whole person in words than it is to write of their characteristics or qualities. Though you can't say I didn't try.
In all respects, I'm glad that's over. Now I can return to my thoughts on yeshiva life, the goings-on of YMG.
First Impressions
Josh I knew from YOLA, my archrival school. I knew him when he came to Shalhevet in senior year (he was dating Amanda Gelb at the time). He is an
optimist, but sleeps in the room, unlike Ilan. We both enjoy sleeping late and the air conditioner (two things Ilan dislikes, which may explain the whole roof thing). He is the messy one in the room; his belongings are dispersed farther than the Ten Lost Tribes, or something like that. He likes learning, but we have different styles; we found that out when he tried for an hour to explain one sentence to me in gmara. Needless to say, we are no longer gmara chevrutas.Second Thoughts
Ilan represents half of my roommate situation. Although, as Josh and I are always keen to
remind him, he isn't really a roommate, but rather visiting us from his roof. Ilan always seems to be busy: learning, of course, but also conducting the yeshiva choir, going on hikes, writing in his diary, or a variety of other things. Ilan usually has a sharp insight to contribute to the discussion, be it Jewish or otherwise, unless he's fallen asleep. Ilan understands my sense of humor, and has his own: in addition to our improv, he is also a medical clown who inflates balloons in the shape of flowers and crowns. Ilan takes a leadership position in many of his endeavors, such as directing the Purim play or planning surprise parties or organizing the choir. He hasn't cut his hair for a while, and coupled with his scraggly beard, often looks very hoboish. Ilan has an assortment of hats (in addition to the berets in both these pictures, he also has a Chilean llama-fur hat), and is a vegetarian.Josh is the human tornado of our room. Wherever he walks, a wake of mess follows. Shirts, towels, papers, trash-- floorspace becomes Joshspace. Messiness aside, however, Josh is a learner and a leader. He recently completed the presentation of a Rav-Elisha-style shiur about birth control in Judaism, and I often see him reading a book by a Rabbi Berkovitz on contemporary issues. Outside of the learning sphere, Josh has started an organization called Alinea, for students in Israel wanting to make a difference in global affairs, and
also helped organize the ordering of yeshiva T-shirts, both leading to the "Josh's 'I'm the Man'" mode. We watched the first season of "Scrubs" together, and we have talks about Harry Potter, Los Angeles, and music (though I don't particularly care for the Screaming Monkeys and Death Cab Cutie, or whatever those bands are called). Josh is very loquacious and sociable, managing (for the most part) to stay in touch with a lot of his YOLA friends who are in Israel for the year. He does a lot of running for excercize, something I have been mostly unable to do with my now-healing toe. You know what? These were exceedingly difficult and complex. I thought it would be easier to write, but it really isn't. Now that I've gotten to know these people over the past few months, I see them more as a whole person than before, and it is much harder to capture a whole person in words than it is to write of their characteristics or qualities. Though you can't say I didn't try.
In all respects, I'm glad that's over. Now I can return to my thoughts on yeshiva life, the goings-on of YMG.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home