Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Home at Last

Well, I'm home! I'm typing from my computer (and not my laptop) from my room (which is cluttered with other people's junk) and fighting off the jetlag for as long as I can, but I'm managing.

The adventures of the flight home were not as much the flights themselves, but rather in the airport hassles around them. For example, though I arrived at Ben Gurion airport at 8:30 for a 12:05 flight, I barely made it on to the plane. Part of the reason is that it took me forever to check my luggage; it seemed like every line but mine was moving. I think part of the delay was due to a very loquacious woman draped in maroon velvet, with a matching maroon afro, who kept talking to the clerk. I stood in that line for a full hour and a half. The small solace I could find was that for passengers checking in with me in line 92, our part of the plane would be more secure.

Then, of course, we took off 45 minutes late. I slept on and off for the entire flight. I couldn't believe that for the eleven hour flight, each seat did not come equipped with its own TV set! Thus, to amuse myself, I did a few sudokus, read my one-and-a-half plane letters, and listened to my new Gratefull Dead album on my iPod.

We alighted (or alit?) in Toronto, where some of the many Jews organized a Rosh Chodesh shacharit minyan. As the break was only an hour, we were soon back on board for the last leg of the journey. I watched part of "Garden State" on my laptop before it ran out of juice, and then watched "Friends" and "Everybody Loves Raymond" on the main TV. I also caught up with Ebby Hanasab, who was on my plane.

The flight finally arrived, and I passed through customs with only a strange conversation ("It says here you were on a farm on your journey." "Yes." "Are your shoes clean?"). I had to claim my suitcases next, and as luck would have it, my suitcase was the last one out of the chute. Finally, finally, I found my parents, and we got home.

I showered almost immediately after being in the air for twenty hours, and then went out to lunch at the LA famous Jeff's Gourmet Sausage Factory. The meal was quite rewarding and delicious. I then spent some time at Shalhevet, chilling with the seniors and visiting a few of my former teachers.

And still, I am awake. Gotta beat this jetlag, you know.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

im sure its nice to be home, and im glad youre catching up with old friends, but we still want you back. good luck with the jetlag, and dont forget to return for zman kayitz!

eitan

3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

two things, first, did you read my plane letter and did it make any sense...
second, my mother is in love with your blog, so she may comment at some point

Micah

11:34 AM  
Blogger Yoni Bain said...

I read the plane letter you sent me, as well as Yehuda's, which was quite short, and Yochai's, which I found in my suitcase after I landed. Most of it made sense.

As for your mother's comments, they are more than welcome. Benjamin's mom used to comment quite frequently, but I don't know what happened to her posts...

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home