FIST: David Zvi and Kirby
I know what you're thinking: what is FIST? FIST, my friends, stands for First Impressions, Second Thoughts. Looking back on the archives, way back, I saw some of my takes on the Americans, and thought what I wrote back then was, well, back then. So why not write anew? Now that I know the guys better, why shouldn't I write descriptions that portray the closeness we've developed over the past few months? That, and the fact that some of the Americans didn't like their first pictures.
Included here are the verbatim paragraphs (and pictures) that I wrote (and photographed) in October. Below that are the new takes. Compare, contrast, and enjoy. Or whatever.
First Impressions:
So there you have it. The two Canadians, who incidentally were
next-door neighbors. Both are dedicated learners, Aaron learning by himself a lot and David Zvi, who is a Cohen, learning a lot too, but in a few more groups. Aaron is one of those in charge of providing the Beit Midrash bi
squits, the yeshiva snack while learning, and David Zvi tells jokes that are only funny in Canada (including the memorable and oft-ridiculed one-liner "Magenta Pig!" ?????).
Second Thoughts:
I guess my assessment of the two Canadians will make no sense, as Aaron is no longer at YMG. The rumor about him is that he finished every book we had, and needed more Torah. Though I'm not sure if that rumor is credible, especially as I created it. Nevertheless, I will do the best I can with the Second thoughts. I also realized that I lumped the two of them into one paragraph, which not only ruins my aesthetic design, but also shows how little I knew them back then.
David Zvi, oh David Zvi. No one can replace Aaron on the sacred Learnometer, but David Zvi, or
DZ (or occasionally "Dizzle"), is coming close. If Aaron was the Supreme Chancellor of learning, DZ is the... what, the Vice Supreme Chancellor? DZ is one of the learniest guys here, and was number seven in the Canadian Torah league, or something like that. And it shows. He asks a lot of insightful and incisive questions, and, when giving a shiur to the Americans in Rav Elisha's class, was organized, precise, and focused.
Aside from the learning, of which he does quite a lot, DZ has a bizarre sense of humor, though "sense of humor" is pushing it. We never really forgave him for "magenta pig," though he claims that it is in his past. He thinks he's funny, but the only time that he is really funny is really late, when he's really tired. Most of the time, we just nod and smile. DZ has a great music collection, works great with computers, and still has that red beard.
Kirby. I will not mention his first name here. He thinks he has dibs over it because he was born a day before me. Think again. We already have two Yonis here.
To be honest, I don't know Kirby that well. Kirby transfered from Shalem about two months
ago, and while I think he's really fitting into the learning here, it's been a bit of a challenge to integrate him socially. The American group has been tight-knit since day one, and adding someone late in the game is tough. We still try, and I think he's fitting in, slowly. Hopefully, we will all be able to get to know this cool and awesome guy through the second half of the year. Kirby moved into Aaron's bed, and is Jamin's roommate.
Included here are the verbatim paragraphs (and pictures) that I wrote (and photographed) in October. Below that are the new takes. Compare, contrast, and enjoy. Or whatever.
First Impressions:
So there you have it. The two Canadians, who incidentally were
next-door neighbors. Both are dedicated learners, Aaron learning by himself a lot and David Zvi, who is a Cohen, learning a lot too, but in a few more groups. Aaron is one of those in charge of providing the Beit Midrash bi
squits, the yeshiva snack while learning, and David Zvi tells jokes that are only funny in Canada (including the memorable and oft-ridiculed one-liner "Magenta Pig!" ?????). Second Thoughts:
I guess my assessment of the two Canadians will make no sense, as Aaron is no longer at YMG. The rumor about him is that he finished every book we had, and needed more Torah. Though I'm not sure if that rumor is credible, especially as I created it. Nevertheless, I will do the best I can with the Second thoughts. I also realized that I lumped the two of them into one paragraph, which not only ruins my aesthetic design, but also shows how little I knew them back then.
David Zvi, oh David Zvi. No one can replace Aaron on the sacred Learnometer, but David Zvi, or
DZ (or occasionally "Dizzle"), is coming close. If Aaron was the Supreme Chancellor of learning, DZ is the... what, the Vice Supreme Chancellor? DZ is one of the learniest guys here, and was number seven in the Canadian Torah league, or something like that. And it shows. He asks a lot of insightful and incisive questions, and, when giving a shiur to the Americans in Rav Elisha's class, was organized, precise, and focused.Aside from the learning, of which he does quite a lot, DZ has a bizarre sense of humor, though "sense of humor" is pushing it. We never really forgave him for "magenta pig," though he claims that it is in his past. He thinks he's funny, but the only time that he is really funny is really late, when he's really tired. Most of the time, we just nod and smile. DZ has a great music collection, works great with computers, and still has that red beard.
Kirby. I will not mention his first name here. He thinks he has dibs over it because he was born a day before me. Think again. We already have two Yonis here.
To be honest, I don't know Kirby that well. Kirby transfered from Shalem about two months
ago, and while I think he's really fitting into the learning here, it's been a bit of a challenge to integrate him socially. The American group has been tight-knit since day one, and adding someone late in the game is tough. We still try, and I think he's fitting in, slowly. Hopefully, we will all be able to get to know this cool and awesome guy through the second half of the year. Kirby moved into Aaron's bed, and is Jamin's roommate.




2 Comments:
OK, I realize you have no idea who I am...so I'll tell you - I'm a friend of DZ. Known him a rediculious amount of time....
He gave me this link at the begining of the year, and short of MSN/expensive phone calls...this is the closest I get to what his life is like 1/2 way around the world. Thanks for the FIST assessment....and for the record, DZ IS FUNNY! Unique sense of humor...but he is funny....though, if someone would fill me in on the magenta pig, it would be greatly appreciated.
Ok, I've typed enough, I should get back to paying attention in class. If you would please tell DZ that Margot says "hi hi" and all the nessicary follow ups, it would be muchly appreciated.
thanks!
-- Margot
Hey hey
Post a Comment
<< Home