Of Oprah and Vomit
Though I have just finished my second shabbat in Efrat, the experience could not have been more different. Whereas my stay at the Schwartz home was loud, hectic, and crowded-- in short, like home-- my stay at the Leibowitzes, just three doors down, was quiet, relaxed, and laid-back. Dov and his mother were the only people here, and the absence of his father and three sisters meant that we had the whole house to ourselves. "We had a nice, peaceful..." said Dov, letting the memories finish the sentence for him. "We had a pothead's shabbos," he added. Well, minus the pot. Thus, he concluded, "we had a ...head's shabbos." That doesn't seem to work so well, so scratch that.
For dinner last night, we were at the Nurkins', where we had a plethora of food, which was difficult for my cucumber-shrunken stomach to accept. We played Jewish Geography, and I learned that Ilana Nurkin nee Givon lived in LA and new my aunt Liz. Small world, small world. We then moved on to more intriguing topics, such as types of alcohol, Jewish humor, and Oprah Winfrey..JPG)
That night we stayed up until one, reading the cards from Trivial Pursuit and Celebrity Taboo. Most memorable during Taboo was when I guessed the correct answer from the clue "he's an author" (Stephen King). Of course, that whole 1:00 a.m. thing meant we woke up too late for shul, and thus went directly to lunch at the Bogners. We had sushi as appetizers, and discussed vomit over the length of the meal. Yummy.
Tonight after shabbat we watched "Arlington Road," a thriller starring Jeff Bridges and Tim Robbins. It was very demented and suspenseful, with Robbins delivering one heck of a performance. Heck, I had never even heard of the film until tonight.
And now, sleep. Shavua Tov.
For dinner last night, we were at the Nurkins', where we had a plethora of food, which was difficult for my cucumber-shrunken stomach to accept. We played Jewish Geography, and I learned that Ilana Nurkin nee Givon lived in LA and new my aunt Liz. Small world, small world. We then moved on to more intriguing topics, such as types of alcohol, Jewish humor, and Oprah Winfrey.
That night we stayed up until one, reading the cards from Trivial Pursuit and Celebrity Taboo. Most memorable during Taboo was when I guessed the correct answer from the clue "he's an author" (Stephen King). Of course, that whole 1:00 a.m. thing meant we woke up too late for shul, and thus went directly to lunch at the Bogners. We had sushi as appetizers, and discussed vomit over the length of the meal. Yummy.
Tonight after shabbat we watched "Arlington Road," a thriller starring Jeff Bridges and Tim Robbins. It was very demented and suspenseful, with Robbins delivering one heck of a performance. Heck, I had never even heard of the film until tonight.
And now, sleep. Shavua Tov.




2 Comments:
Yoni, As I've been bogged down with other things (yes, I do have a life) I hadn't read your blogs this past week. In catching up, the Learnometer caught my eye: either you've been spending entirely too much time around Benjamin or you two are brothers from different mothers. Note: Benjamin's grandfather IS an anesthesiologist (sp??). Next, as a Jewish mother, I just about cried in reading about the Americans feeling like orphans. I trust (and hope...) this was fleeting and passed as the yeshiva returned to normal. Blogs like that leave us Mommies unsettled while our children are so far from us. And finally, since your so clairvoyant, I give you a hint: "He's a Nobel Prize winner in physics..." Your answer?? Tina
Ok, the last sentence was to read, "since YOU'RE..." Typo or fleeting stupidity. tina
Post a Comment
<< Home