Initiating Israeli Introductions
Today, November 16th, is noteworthy for two reasons. The first is:
We have wireless internet! And since I have wireless internet in my room, and since my computer works, I am currently writing this entry from my bed!
I will now begin to publish brief descriptions of the Israelis here. Since there are so many of them, I do not think I can manage to go into as much depth as I did with the Americans (also, to my regret, I cannot say that I know all the Israelis well enough to write something). So I decided to do something called "Two Truths and a Lie." This is a popular icebreaker in which a person introduces himself by saying two things that are true about him, and one falsehood. Everyone tries to guess, and this somehow serves as an icebreaker. For example:
George Washington
a. Was the first US president
b. Stayed at Valley Forge
c. Advised to be wary of "foreign entanglements"
Give up? Well, actually they are all; George never could tell a lie. Okay, bad example. But how about Honest Abe Lincoln... er, bad example. How about Tricky Dick Nixon? Um... maybe we should stay away from politics. How about we get straight to the Israelis? I'll post the answers on a later post. NOTE: Israelis not posted in any order.
Eitan Moriah
a. His favorite movies are "Braveheart" and "Gladiator"
b. His birthday falls on Rosh Hodesh Nissan
c. He is deadly allergic to bees
Yoni Schwartz
a. Puts many many noodles and croutons in his Shabbat chicken soup
b. His middle name is Kalman
c. Was born in Poughkeepsie, NY
Tzuri Blank
a. His real name is Tzurishadai
b. Has never been to the United States
c. Gave me the nickname "DJ Yoni Banana"
Roi Ravitzky
a. Never wears sandals
b. Plays guitar
c. Talks animatedly and waves his hands
Avraham Kellner
a. Usually rides his bicycle to the Beit Midrash
b. Wears a small green kippah
c. Attends Rav Yossi's usual gmara b'iyun shiur
You can submit your answers in the form of a comment. You must get all five right to merit the five points. If you get the bonus, you receive an extra five points, but you must first get the regular questions!
BONUS
What is the LGLRD22850SW, and who just purchased one?
Finally, I said earlier that "today is noteworth for two reasons." The first was wireless interent. But the second is that my cousin Michael is celebrating his 14th birthday. Huzzah! So let us join hands in birthday prayer, and sing together:
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to Michael
Happy birthday to you!
We have wireless internet! And since I have wireless internet in my room, and since my computer works, I am currently writing this entry from my bed!
I will now begin to publish brief descriptions of the Israelis here. Since there are so many of them, I do not think I can manage to go into as much depth as I did with the Americans (also, to my regret, I cannot say that I know all the Israelis well enough to write something). So I decided to do something called "Two Truths and a Lie." This is a popular icebreaker in which a person introduces himself by saying two things that are true about him, and one falsehood. Everyone tries to guess, and this somehow serves as an icebreaker. For example:
George Washington
a. Was the first US president
b. Stayed at Valley Forge
c. Advised to be wary of "foreign entanglements"
Give up? Well, actually they are all; George never could tell a lie. Okay, bad example. But how about Honest Abe Lincoln... er, bad example. How about Tricky Dick Nixon? Um... maybe we should stay away from politics. How about we get straight to the Israelis? I'll post the answers on a later post. NOTE: Israelis not posted in any order.
Eitan Moriaha. His favorite movies are "Braveheart" and "Gladiator"
b. His birthday falls on Rosh Hodesh Nissan
c. He is deadly allergic to bees
Yoni Schwartz

a. Puts many many noodles and croutons in his Shabbat chicken soup
b. His middle name is Kalman
c. Was born in Poughkeepsie, NY
Tzuri Blanka. His real name is Tzurishadai
b. Has never been to the United States
c. Gave me the nickname "DJ Yoni Banana"
Roi Ravitzky

a. Never wears sandals
b. Plays guitar
c. Talks animatedly and waves his hands
Avraham Kellnera. Usually rides his bicycle to the Beit Midrash
b. Wears a small green kippah
c. Attends Rav Yossi's usual gmara b'iyun shiur
You can submit your answers in the form of a comment. You must get all five right to merit the five points. If you get the bonus, you receive an extra five points, but you must first get the regular questions!
BONUS
What is the LGLRD22850SW, and who just purchased one?
Finally, I said earlier that "today is noteworth for two reasons." The first was wireless interent. But the second is that my cousin Michael is celebrating his 14th birthday. Huzzah! So let us join hands in birthday prayer, and sing together:
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to Michael
Happy birthday to you!




7 Comments:
1. a
2. b
3. a
4. a
5. c
Extra credit: PETRELLA! (ps-- that was our extra credit on his first test. i was the only one who got it right)
Great...I've gotta get these right...oh well, some of them I know for sure:
1. b
2. c
3. b
4. a
5. c
And apparently the answer to the bonus question (properly formatted) is A Refrigerator and Petrella. Yay!
The correct answers will be posted in the comments section of every question session. The correct answers are:
1. b- we actually celebrated Eitan's birthday at the yeshiva.
2. c- although he is very American in many respects, his family made aliyah right before he was born.
3. b- Tzuri spent his sukkot in New York and Miami.
4. a- Roi wears sandals almost always, as many Israelis do.
5. c- Avraham is in my gmara shiur with Rav Yitzchak.
BONUS: The LGLRD22850SW is the new refrigerator of my former history teacher, Michael John Petrella.
Points awarded: 10, to Benjamin Epstein.
Standings, for now:
B. Epstein- 15
D. Bain- 13
B. Bain- 5
Um... does anyone else have points?
And if this wasn't already obvious, all answers past the submission of the answer key will not be accepted. Duh!
I'm glad that 14 yrs. of private school education for Benjamin is finally paying off...his mother
whoa whoa whoa--
how does the scoring work?
i have some points from the zinc, and also the bonus i got first
daniel has 10 from the Yb-- what else?
and epstein does not deserve the extra credit which he stole from me!
You got five from the Zinc, and the bonus is only awarded for those who get the questions right first, as explained in the rules. I noticed, though, that giving a bonus with only one answer is problematic, so notice that all future bonuses will have multiple answers. I am considering subtracting Benjamin Epstein's bonus that day, but don't count on it ex post facto. Daniel also got three points (maximum possible ten) for attempting the question of Oct. 30th.
In accordance with the rule change of Dec. 1, points will be awarded for bonus answerings, up to five points. So:
B. Bain receives 4 points for the bonus, not meriting a 5 because he did not mention the new fridge aspect.
D. Bain does get 5 for mentioning the both parts.
R. Bain gets 3, for getting the answer but also seeing the previous answer.
B. Epstein received points for both the questions and the bonus, and received ten points total. However, looking back I only award him two points for admitting that he doesn't know the answer an copying, and even though that's not against the rules, there is no way I award him full points. So it actually appears that he loses three points, sorry.
Post a Comment
<< Home