The Sabbath Queen and The Princess Bride

The Sabbath came and went in Efrat, where I am spending the weekend with the Schwartz family, who moved to Israel almost thirteen years ago. Other than the other Yoni, who is at yeshiva with me, I met his parents, Andrew and Robin, and his siblings Michael, 20; Asher, 16; Ari, 14; and Sarah, 12. And they all speak English! Not that that sentence deserves a question mark, but it had the feel of an American shabbat, from soup to nuts (or in this case, cookies). That night we played Scrabble and I finished my David Sedaris book, "Naked." If you have not read any of his books and you enjoy sarcastic/self-depricating humor, you are required by law to read it very very soon. As soon as I find the law.
For shabbat, we went to shul, ate a large lunch (with cholent!), played chess, and relaxed, all good ingredients to a good shabbat. Tonight we decided to bypass the standard weekend activity of "going to town" (Jerusalem) in favor of doing all the exciting stuff in Efrat. And in case you didn't get the sarcasm, there is nothing to do in Efrat, except for making plans to do stuff by leaving Efrat. So we made popcorn as Yoni (not me), Yoni(not me) 's girlfriend Ahuva, and Yoni (me) watched "The Princess Bride." Even though I have seen the movie, it was fun to watch. And as I do with all movies I have watched, I present quotable quotes:
Inigo Montoya: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
Vizzini: Inconceivable!
Humperdink: There was a great battle. It covered the whole terrain. Both masters. The loser walked off alone, but the winner followed these footprints toward Guilder.
Count Rugen: Shall we track them both?
Humperdink: The loser is nothing; only the princess matters.
Count Rugen: Do you think it could be a trap?
Humperdink: I think everything could be a trap, which is why I'm still alive.
Note: the third one was not on imdb.com, so it is more or less from memory. I apologize if it is wrong, but if you have the correct quote, post it as a comment, or send it to me in an email.




1 Comments:
PRINCESS BRIDE!! A MUST (by law) READ!! I made Benjamin read it years ago. "As you wish" "Prepare to die!" Read it in college and is one of my favorite all time books. (I have a long list of all-time favorites...) You're warped enough to enjoy Carl Hiassen books--I know I like them (which says what about me?). Exchanged emails with your father--very nice. Look forward to your next posting. Tina PS. Please tell Benjamin to clean his glasses.
Post a Comment
<< Home