Never did cardboard pizza taste so good!
Right now, for some reason, I'm listening to Adam Sandler's "Chanukah Song," which mentions "we've got eight craaaaazy nights." And though I'm sure Sandler is Jewish, he clearly did not remember Pesach, or spend the holiday with my family.
My birthday usually falls out around Pesach time, and one big plus is that I get to see my relatives from New Jersey. The downside to this, of course, is that they are all staying in our house, and coupled with my grandparents and two housekeepers, we had a total of seventeen people staying with us. Count the five New York Mintzes who are staying next door who are here for the meals and the most of the time as well, and that's 22 people, without other guests that we'll have. Not that I'm counting or anything. Nor complaining. Well, not really.
First of all, we have two seders, which may not seem like such a big deal to my American readers, but will cause a good deal of head-scratching to my Israeli friends, and perhaps to my American friends in Israel as well. I thought that I had some practice, as I kept two days of Purim (see March 15), but the experience was... well, who am I kidding, it was the same as my first eighteen Passovers.
We had the same seder, Take One and Take Two. The guest list was about the same both nights. For two nights in a row, I wondered if the Jews would make it out of Egypt, or if we'd have a different ending for the second part of the doubleheader. Unsurprisingly, I was not surprised. Neither was I surprised by the taste of the matzah, as crunchy and bland as it's ever been. The best part of the seder, apart from watching watching some people drink too much, was singing our favorite songs. We maintained our tradition of the "Zuzei!" from last year, and established one for next year with our "Tafsarav." (Don't ask)
Other than the seders, we played some basketball, we swam in the jacuzzi despite the mercurial weather, and I continued teaching others the finer points of the highly-addicting "The Settlers of Catan." We ate almost all of the good snackfood, and consumed much matzah-pizza, which is basically tomato sauce and cheese on carboard. And, I finally finished my book, "The World is Flat." All 400-plus pages of it. Now I can continue to read other literature in peace.
Tomorrow we leave for Palm Springs for seven days.
Chag Sameach.
My birthday usually falls out around Pesach time, and one big plus is that I get to see my relatives from New Jersey. The downside to this, of course, is that they are all staying in our house, and coupled with my grandparents and two housekeepers, we had a total of seventeen people staying with us. Count the five New York Mintzes who are staying next door who are here for the meals and the most of the time as well, and that's 22 people, without other guests that we'll have. Not that I'm counting or anything. Nor complaining. Well, not really.
First of all, we have two seders, which may not seem like such a big deal to my American readers, but will cause a good deal of head-scratching to my Israeli friends, and perhaps to my American friends in Israel as well. I thought that I had some practice, as I kept two days of Purim (see March 15), but the experience was... well, who am I kidding, it was the same as my first eighteen Passovers.
We had the same seder, Take One and Take Two. The guest list was about the same both nights. For two nights in a row, I wondered if the Jews would make it out of Egypt, or if we'd have a different ending for the second part of the doubleheader. Unsurprisingly, I was not surprised. Neither was I surprised by the taste of the matzah, as crunchy and bland as it's ever been. The best part of the seder, apart from watching watching some people drink too much, was singing our favorite songs. We maintained our tradition of the "Zuzei!" from last year, and established one for next year with our "Tafsarav." (Don't ask)
Other than the seders, we played some basketball, we swam in the jacuzzi despite the mercurial weather, and I continued teaching others the finer points of the highly-addicting "The Settlers of Catan." We ate almost all of the good snackfood, and consumed much matzah-pizza, which is basically tomato sauce and cheese on carboard. And, I finally finished my book, "The World is Flat." All 400-plus pages of it. Now I can continue to read other literature in peace.
Tomorrow we leave for Palm Springs for seven days.
Chag Sameach.




7 Comments:
Did you Rav Yitzchak's proposal to take some yeshiva home, and teach everyone the new pesach song we all learned ("Lo Tochlu Mimenu Na")?
Eitan
i checked out the scoreboard how does tina epstien only have 8 points?!
-sarah s.
Zuzei is two years ago
There's a scoreboard?? I have points???? How did I earn them?? I never did meet the fellow who was traumatized by a goose when he was 3...Yoni, your column is missed! Hurry back!
we miss you, yoni! come back!
eitan
Yoni, We pray for your quick recovery. You are a vital part of many people's lives and we miss you. Can't wait to see your much loved blogs again--with you healthy and in Israel where you are missed. Our thoughts are with you. Tina
happy to hear youre feeling better. any sign of what it was or when it will go away? we still miss you and pray for you daily. hope you come back soon feeling well.
eitan
Post a Comment
<< Home