Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Saturday, April 08, 2006

The Big Sabbath

Today was the Big Sabbath, known in some circles as Shabbat HaGadol. The Big Sabbath is the sabbath preceeding Passover, and, according to tradition, it is called such because a great miracle happened to the Jews in Egypt on that day. I have never learned why it is called "HaGadol," which is a masculine adjective, and not "HaGedollah," which is feminine and seemingly appropriate for the feminine noun "Shabbat." Anyway, the only thing memorable about today is that the rabbi delivered his usual sermon between mincha and ma'ariv instead of during the morning service, thus shortening the service by a good hour.

Other than that, the Shabbat passed without a hitch. I went to synagogue, sated myself with delicious home cooking, played basketball, and won a tight game of Settlers of Catan. I think my brother Benjy is getting drawn into the game. I also continued reading my book, "The World is Flat" by Thomas Friedman (who also writes for the New York Times). I am a bit ashamed to admit that I started the book before I left America for Israel is August, but I console myself, knowing that I've been busy, had other books, and that the book is very long and very dense. I'll finish someday.

One of the major disappointments in my two shabbats here is that I have been unable to have my traditional shabbat breakfast of bagel and tuna salad. Last shabbat we had tuna, but no bagels, and this week we had bagels but no tuna! And next week, I cannot have a bagel due to the Pesach holiday, which forbids the consumption of all leavened food products.

Speaking of leavened food products, I picked up a list of items in shul today that thankfully were declared to be not chametz (leavened). I'm certainly glad, because I did not throw these things away at yeshiva, on the grounds that, well, they're not food. And though I thought it was common sense, that you are not supposed to have any edible chametz products, apparently it was necessary to make the following list:

Baby ointments, plastic bags, body wash, tub cleaner, candles, cardboard, carpet cleaner, charcoal, conditioner, metal cleaners, cork, creams and gels, styrofoam cups, detergents, fabric protectors, furniture polish, glass cleaner, hair products, insecticides, isopropyl alcohol, jewelry polish, laundry detergents, paper napkins, oven cleaner, paper towels, disposable plates, shampoos, silver polish, skin cream, soap, suntan lotion, talcum powder, toilet bowl cleaner.

Thank goodness. I mean, I might have accidentally dipped my karpas in insecticide, made a Hillel sandwich of cardboard and jewelry polish, and drank my four cups of isopropyl alcohol. Glad that's out of the way.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That bit of hebrew grammer is actually an ongoing war between me and Roie Revitzky.
I claim that shabbat, as other words (I think shemesh and derech, sun and road respectively), was once used in both male and female forms.
My claims are "Shabbat HaGadol", and the bit we say eight times on Shabbat (once in each Amidah, once each Chazarat HaShatz, once after Amidah of Ma'ariv). It's the last bit of Kdushat HaYom, beginning "Elokeinu Ve'Elokei Avoteinu, Retze B'Mnuchateinu". If you look carefully, near the end of the piece, the Ma'ariv bits refer to the sabbath as singular female, Shacharit and Musaf as singular male, and Mincha as plural male.
Roie says it is only female, and sings "SHabbat Shalom UMevorechet" instead of "UMevorach" in the post-Shacharit dancing circles on in-shabbats. He further claims that i am stupid, which is true (see "Count") and must therefore be wrong, which isn't.
I havnt heard his other excuses and explanations, but since he is Roie and i am the Count (and barely even deserve that capital letter) he is probably right.

Eitan

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey yoni!
i hope you're having a good time back in america! i thought about you today so i decided to check out your blog. i miss you, mustache man.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home