Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Guess what today is?

Before I get to the excitement of today, let me first mention that I attended last night's Maverick-Clipper game at Staples Center. It was a low-scoring affair, with Dallas winning on a jumper by Dirk Nowitzki with 0.7 seconds left to win 75-73.

Anyway today was my birthday. Huzzah! I am now nineteen, or, as I prefer to think of it, my one-year anniversary of my being legal. We celebrated by cleaning the house for Pesach, finishing the last of the chametz and scraping the remains of a moldy rug off the tiled floor. Our seders should be between 25-30 people each (oh yeah, we're keeping two days in the US), so we rearranged the whole den, moving the couch and other accoutrements to achieve a whole new feng shui. And yes, I pronounce it "fang shuey."

Tonight we celebrated my birthday, as well as the arrival of my relatives from New Jersey (via Utah), as well as the last official leavened meal, at our favorite sushi place. Though the food was excellent as usual, the sixteen of us placing our own individual finnicky orders caused a fair amount of confusion and delay. Still, it was all worth it. Goodbye rice. Goodbye soy. Hello macaroons!

Tonight I threw a small party for my birthday, and though it was a lot of fun, its circumstances merit a brief explanation: a few years ago, I threw a last-second, half-effort party on Friday night, and the only person who showed was my friend Josh Cohen. In order to at least double my guest list, I put a party hat on Shel Silverstein (or rather, the picture of Shel Silverstein on the dustjacket of his book), leading to what is now known as "The Shel Silverstein Incident with the Party Hat and the Failed Birthday Party, with only Josh Cohen Attending." Not wanting another SSIPHFBPJCA, I took the initiative to make my own party. This also partly backfired on me, because my parents were trying to throw a surprise party for me. Oh well.

A few of my friends-- Tzvi, Tabak, Alyssa, Saraleah, Rochelle, Landau-- came at exactly 8:03, and we schmoozed for a while before cutting up the birthday cake, my favorite cake of all-- a chocolate-and-lemon checkerboard cake; you need to see and taste it to believe it. Then we went bowling, where I won with a grand score of 117 (out of a possible 300). My bowling goal, as always, was to crack 100, which I did. I'm thinking about setting my sights on a minimum of 120, and seeing where I go from there. Whatever.

Last word: Today is also the birthday of David Mayer-Deutsch. All together now:
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to David,
Happy birthday to you!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to ya'll, though a little late. Have a good one!

Eitan

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, YONI AND DMD!! Wishing you a year of good health and contentment (happiness is too hard to sustain--we aim for contentment with moments of happiness). Be happy, healthy and I wish you both continued laughter in/at life. Tina

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AND NOW......(drum roll please)....
b-l8ted b-day wish to you!!!


happy birthday to you,
happy birthday to you,
happy birthday dear yoni,
happy birthday to you!

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home