Yoni in Israel

Contains: Torah, humor, insight, and cucumbers

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Going above and beyond the call of duty?

I mentioned yesterday that getting back into the rhythm of things included the upcoming Out Shabbat. Today was another impediment to getting back in the flow: community service.

Yes, community service is part of the yeshiva life, but a part of the typical week, not of the typical day. I have not been to bkiyut gmara for a while, and I was looking forward to learning. Instead, I went back to kibbutz Gesher.

The last time I was there, the mother didn't show up, and I had to accompany the babysitter. This time, Tali left right after I arrived, assigning me the job of babysitter. I bought Or a snack, pushed on the playground swings, carried him on my shoulders as we played basketball, dragged him home, helped him with his homework, and read him his favorite book. These activities alone do not frustrate me; rather, it is my perception that I am being used, in a way that is more that what I accepted (or was volunteered) to do. The job description was playing with the kid for an hour, not doing babysitting jobs. If she needs a babysitter, hire a babysitter; but my job should not be to serve as a foster parent or babysitter simply because I am there, because I am available. Just because I come every week, does that give the mother the opportunity to dump her kid on me while she goes to Beit Shean? My job is to play and to teach, not to discipline and watch.

In other news, I added up the scores of my football pool to discover that I lost by one point. Nevertheless, it was an exciting and fun-filled year of football. I thoroughly enjoyed the season.
Additionally, I am once again in search of a chevruta, this time for iyun shiur. Dov, who does not get along well with Rav Yitzchak, switched to Rav Meir's class, leaving me once again alone in my studies, a feeling I am used to, though it does not get any easier. I am thinking of busting out that personal ad again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home